Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: FPS Drops and Stuttering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

BrownKnight

I have an OC'ed FX-6300 (4.5ghz) and an r9 270 (1130/1500mhz) but when i try to play super mario galaxy 2, my game stutters and I get low fps (dips to 40). When i play super smash bros I also get FPS drops but then it works fine when the actual fighting starts. What's weird though is that when i take a look at MSI afterburner, both my cpu and gpu usage is below 60%!
SMG2 is pretty demanding, maybe too much for FX CPUs (try overclocking a bit more anyway).

BrownKnight

(08-20-2014, 10:51 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]SMG2 is pretty demanding, maybe too much for FX CPUs (try overclocking a bit more anyway).

But the CPU usage is below 60 percent!
Because you have too many cores for Dolphin to use. Dolphin has to emulate both the CPU and the GPU on one thread each. ONce that CPU Core is maxed, Dolphin will slowdown. AMDs suck when it comes to having fast cores, and instead throw tons of them at it, which means they aren't that good for emulators.

BrownKnight

(08-20-2014, 12:11 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Because you have too many cores for Dolphin to use. Dolphin has to emulate both the CPU and the GPU on one thread each. ONce that CPU Core is maxed, Dolphin will slowdown. AMDs suck when it comes to having fast cores, and instead throw tons of them at it, which means they aren't that good for emulators.

Oh that makes sense, oh well I'll just lower the settings even more and see how that goes.
Lower settings won't make game run faster since your GPU is powerful enough to run game at 1080p . You clearly have CPU bottleneck
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#which-...ould-i-use