Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Just bought my first laptop, a Sony VAIO - can it run Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I bought a Sony VAIO FW Series laptop used, but I've never had a computer this new before. The last one I had was a fossil that ran XP and sounded like an airplane taking off whenever I turned it on.

Anyhow, I'd like to know if this Sony VAIO can run Dolphin. It's got the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2 GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
Windows 7 Home Edition x64
6GB of RAM
~340 GB HDD space free
Bluetooth

I tried running The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Disc using the newest version of Dolphin, but got this error:

GPU: OGL ERROR: Need GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object.
GPU: Does your video card support OpenGL 3.1?

Sorry I'm such a PC newb. Thanks for any assistance.
That error is from your graphics card or drivers being out of date IMO both CPU and GPU are too slow for running dolphin properly. You will need a better laptop for a good performance on dolphin.
Your CPU is too old and weak for Dolphin.

Your GPU doesn't support OpenGL 3.1 (required for latest versions of the emulator)
Quote: I've never had a computer this new before
The CPU was made in Q3 2008 ...
If you want a laptop than can run Dolphin properly , you will have to spend $600 minimum for Core i7 4700MQ or i7 4710MQ+ Intel HD 4600 laptop
That's disappointing... Oh well, thanks for letting me know. I only paid $200 for this laptop, so I didn't expect too much.
You can get things that are better than this for 200$ nowadays..
Your GPU should support GL 3.3 just fine with updated drivers. Install them and see how awfully Dolphin runs for yourself: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/de...7%20-%2064
(08-19-2014, 11:08 PM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]You can get things that are better than this for 200$ nowadays..

Like what? I've never seen a good laptop for less than $200.

Is my Sony VAIO that bad? I can't return it. Sad
It's six years old, and wasn't a great laptop at all even back then. While you won't get a good laptop for that money, you can definitely do better than you did.
(08-20-2014, 07:16 AM)Bent 00 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-19-2014, 11:08 PM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]You can get things that are better than this for 200$ nowadays..

Like what? I've never seen a good laptop for less than $200.

Is my Sony VAIO that bad? I can't return it. Sad

Seriously. You can't expect something good with that budget
Pages: 1 2