Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dual Core Essential?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, well im not new, but as of currently I have had some Account problems and had too sign back up and Register, creating a new account, but i was Curious, because my current Desktop computer can run dolphin but the GFX card is pretty slow, it has a low VM dedication, 128Mb.
And so I am buying a new computer, and was curious if i could get a computer and have a Single core Processor, (lol its cheaper, and im cheap) such as a
1.Intel Pentium 4 3.0-3.2Gh'z
2.2Gb DDR2
3.Geforce GTS 260 512-1024Mb VM dedication
4.Windows XP SP3, 32bit
And have it still run fine, but of course, i was thinking as long as it is a strong Single Core, with a Good Graphics Card, it would balance out fine, But of course I am no Genius when it comes too this stuff, so ya ANY help would be appreciative, just some assumptions would be fine, thanks again for the help. And if i had too do a Dual core, Aren't AMD Dual core processors better for Dolphin as it is? lol i know it is alot too answer but i would really appreciate the help here, trying too keep dolphin in mind for my new computer, thanks again.
[/font]

Javi

I'm not very familiar with dolphin, but you would be way better off getting a cheap dual core. There is no point getting that graphics card if you have a P4. I would go and get an AMD board and something cheap like a 5000+ (BE if you can, great for overclocking) and overclock it to ~3Ghz. I did this and it cost me 95 AUD for the CPU and 85 AUD for the motherboard.
Agreed with Javi. You are much better off getting a dual core. If you want to be cheap, you can't expect Dolphin to run that well. It takes a lot of CPU processing power for it to run games at decent FPS.
:
it's better a dual core not a single core for two things:
1. you will be able to upgrade it in the future
2. dolphin use the cpu power not the gpu (the gpu will not affect the fps)

Also, amd or intel isn't different for the emulator:
the nintendo systems works with a powerpc cpu ("like" the one inside the machintosh hardware).
Many games don't even work on Dual Core so I wouldn't say it's a requirement but I guess it helps
Why? Most of the games work fast using dual core
Fire Emblem PoR refuses to work at Dual Core =[
P4 + any modern GPU = Fail : o
Never have I seen such a strange idea, it's like 1.6 diesel in one of the fastest ferrari or porsche : _)
lol its a stange idea huh? ok, lol i will stick with a Dual core then if it is that big of a deal (I know what kind of a Impact it has) i was just trying too skate by with something simple..but obviously lol Dolphin is not simple, ok well thanks you guys Big Grin