Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: CPU bottleneck on stafox adventures?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, just yesterday I fired up starfox adventures on the emulator only to notice that when cutscenes play, the fps drops (sometimes as low as dropping 10 fps), and I think it may be because of the hair particles on fox krystal, etc (maybe you guys can give me a clue on what it is). Anyway I´ve been thinking about changing he cpu to a better one but I´m on a bit of a budget, I´ve been looking and the i3 4130 seems like the best deal as far as cost/performance goes. Would you recommend me this or to save up for another, more powerful one? Thanks for your replies
G3258 crush that i3 , even i5 4670k stands no chance against that Pentium...
You only have to overclock it
What I´m worried about if I get the G3258 is the decrease in performance of other applications
That won't happen
See Benchmark
Even without overclocking it, it would still beat the 4670k at stock clock right? Also will it work on any 1150 motherboard?
Are you kidding ? Without overclocking , it will be useless pile of junk
Overclocking is the only thing it's extremely good at

Overclock i5 4670k : 3.4 -> 4.2GHz(Stable) -> 4.4GHz (4.6GHz in some rare cases )
Overclock G3258 : 3.2->4.5GHz (Stable) -> 4.7GHz (Stable too but require high Vcore)

Quote:Also will it work on any 1150 motherboard?
a Z87 mobo without Haswell refresh bios update won't work
Better stick with Z97 mobo
If you are living in US , you can grab G3258 + MSI Z97 mobo bundle for only $100
http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/g3258bundle.aspx
Otherwise just get a dirt cheap Asrock Z97 Anniversary Edition
Asrock Wrote:Pentium Anniversary Boost
Unlike other manufacturers that only update their BIOS for the new CPU, ASRock makes further efforts and offers "Pentium Anniversary Boost" technology exclusively. With Pentium® 20th Anniversary Edition G3258 CPU installed on Z97 Anniversary or Z97M Anniversary motherboard, turn on your PC and press "P" to enter the selection page and choose the CPU frequency you would like to apply. "Pentium® Anniversary Boost" will then automatically overclock the relative components and boost the CPU frequency from 3.2 GHz to a maximum of 4.2 GHz! How easy CPU overclocking can be? Now all it takes are just few keystrokes to boost your Pentium® 20th Anniversary Edition G3258 CPU!*
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asrock-...ition.html
At this point, just stick with what you have and wait for Broadwell. Use the latest dev builds and overclock your current CPU to like 4 Ghz or higher