Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Ati driver has stopped responding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone have any luck getting 3d clocks on ati cards with opengl?

If I run dolphin and leave the stock 2d clocks it runs but performance suffers. If I force 3d clocks by modifying the profile and setting 2d clocks to be the same as 3d and voltage 2d same as 3d the clocks show up in ati CCC but if I go ingame most of the time the entire pc will freeze up (repeating sound, cursor doesn't move) and eventually it will recover with the error in the title.

Things tried: turning catalyst ai OFF to force single core mode.

Specs: Q6600 3.6
8gb Ram
hd4870x2
windows 7 RTM.
(08-19-2009, 07:01 AM)unrealsword Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone have any luck getting 3d clocks on ati cards with opengl?

If I run dolphin and leave the stock 2d clocks it runs but performance suffers. If I force 3d clocks by modifying the profile and setting 2d clocks to be the same as 3d and voltage 2d same as 3d the clocks show up in ati CCC but if I go ingame most of the time the entire pc will freeze up (repeating sound, cursor doesn't move) and eventually it will recover with the error in the title.

Things tried: turning catalyst ai OFF to force single core mode.

Specs: Q6600 3.6
8gb Ram
hd4870x2
windows 7 RTM.

gpu doesnt matter in dolphin so dont bother overclocking it
I'm not trying to overclock but just get it to run at 3d clocks in opengl. If I leave the clocks stock then it runs 300mhz core and 300mhz ram. If I'm fullscreen it's 750mhz core and 900mhz ram. There is a huge performance difference when the 3d clocks do work (like ssbb with 2d clocks will lag even in menus, and intro, but full smooth fps with 3d clocks).

For example: SSBB gets 36-38fps in 2d clocks mode and 50 fps without drops in 3d clock mode.

Also: the crash only happens if I use fullscreen mode. Edit: nevermind it crashed with 3d clocks in windowed mode as well.
Sorry to bump this but here's the odd part:
I used the latest 2 releases, and if I use opengl my pc will lock up and ati driver will reset and then the emu will crash. However if I use the DX9 plugin I can play for hours without issue (I left ssbb on for 1 hour 23 minutes by having 4 cpu fight each other with 99 lives). So something with opengl is causing the lock ups, any ideas?