Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Problems with audio backends in Windows 8.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

gianni

I've very recently started using Dolphin and it works perfectly for most games I play. However recently I've been trying to play Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and I keep running into problems.

The game itself runs fine, no problems there, but the real issue is that my emulator crashes about 10-30 minutes in. I get a regular popup saying "Dolphin has stopped working." I've done some research and found out that it is most likely caused by the Xaudio2 backend, and that switching to DSound or OpenAL fixes the problem. However, DSound and OpenAL have delayed audio, about a half of a second or so. I really don't want to deal with the game's audio being delayed but Xaudio2 crashes my emulator. I'm not sure what to do here to fix my problem, so I'm asking if there is a solution to either Xaudio2's crashing or the other two backends having audio delay.

Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
It's a Windows 8 issue, not an xaudio2 issue as far as I know. I think it's caused by certain sound cards?