Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 4.0.0 through 4.0.2 don't work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello! New member here. I downloaded Dolphin, version 4.0.2, and tried a couple of games. The first one, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, didn't work, just gave me a black screna nd an error that told me Dolphin has encountered a problem ands needs to shut down. Same thing with the other game, New Super Mario Bros. Wii. At first I though it was just a problem with the games I'm testing, so I first posted something similar in the Brawl topic. But, I tried downloading some older Dolphin versions, and 3.5 seemed to run the 2 games just fine (Tho they ran slow, which is why I want to use the latest version), so I thought it would be better to post the problem here, rather than the Brawl topic. What could be causing the version of the emulator not to work? I'm running the 86x version on my Windows XP 32-bit machine. Thank you!
Quote:Processor/CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
Video Card/GPU: Nvidia GeForce 6500

Well, there's your problem. That machine is way too old.
I know it's old. Really old :< But does that mean 4.0+ versions require more power than the previous ones? That's too bad... Next on my agenda: break computer so parents would buy a new one.
(08-07-2014, 01:14 AM)EsEmDee Wrote: [ -> ]I know it's old. Really old :< But does that mean 4.0+ versions require more power than the previous ones? That's too bad... Next on my agenda: break computer so parents would buy a new one.

Yep, Direct3D9 has been dropped in favor for Direct3D11 and OpenGL 3.0 is required now (not sure about the exact version).

I wonder how you can even live with that computer, it's just so old Tongue
(08-06-2014, 11:48 PM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Processor/CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
Video Card/GPU: Nvidia GeForce 6500

Well, there's your problem. That machine is way too old.

(08-07-2014, 01:17 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-07-2014, 01:14 AM)EsEmDee Wrote: [ -> ]I know it's old. Really old :< But does that mean 4.0+ versions require more power than the previous ones? That's too bad... Next on my agenda: break computer so parents would buy a new one.

Yep, Direct3D9 has been dropped in favor for Direct3D11 and OpenGL 3.0 is required now (not sure about the exact version).

I wonder how you can even live with that computer, it's just so old Tongue
It's old, so I can't play any new PC games, which is why I spend a lot of my gaming time on classic titles. Even though it's old, it runs quite well, and since I have it for like 8 years now, I've gotten used to it long ago. Tho', it is very liberating whenever I'm at a friends house and get to use their new PC Tongue
You might wanna try some old/very old builds. But you won't get any help on the forum (Only latest stable version/development builds are supported)
If it makes you feel any better, I just replaced my Pentium 4 with an i7 Haswell-based PC this year. Big Grin

You could technically still run 4.0.2 on XP, since it still supports D3D9 and 32-bit OSes, but the latest development versions won't even try to run, since XP support (and 32-bit OS support in general) was dropped, as well as support for D3D9.

You could try Tino's unofficial branch (which should still support XP):

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ka-dolphin

but a Pentium 4 won't be able to play any games on any current version of Dolphin. The Pentium 4 is even listed on the wiki as the lowest-tier CPU that might be able to boot a game on Dolphin but won't achieve playable speeds on any of them.
I see. That's for everyone's replys Smile Believe it or not, I got SSB Meele to work, and the speed is playable. What I love about Dolphin and wish other emulators would have, is that even if your framerate drops a lot, the music never laggs.
That was removed because it was causing a ton of issues Tongue The only reason that happens is because the old audio was made when nothing could run Dolphin near fullspeed (I think? I'm guessing, I wasn't around back then.)