Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can I run these games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

FindingCabo

Can I run these games?
Skyward sword
Twilight princess
Wind waker
Brawl

CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: AMD R7 250
RAM: 8G
Don't buy that.

FindingCabo

(08-06-2014, 01:44 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]Don't buy that.

Would it be able to run those games or no?
That build is very unbalanced.

Furthermore, AMD cpus are really slow in single threaded applications and emulation. It might be able to run those games, but it'll need a faster Graphics card. Like I said, this thing is like putting a Golf engine into a ferrari.

FindingCabo

(08-06-2014, 01:53 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]That build is very unbalanced.

Furthermore, AMD cpus are really slow in single threaded applications and emulation. It might be able to run those games, but it'll need a faster Graphics card. Like I said, this thing is like putting a Golf engine into a ferrari.

I'm looking for a computer under 900$ would you recommend any good ones? I'm looking to use it as a system for emulation only
(08-06-2014, 01:55 AM)FindingCabo Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm looking for a computer under 900$ would you recommend any good ones? I'm looking to use it as a system for emulation only

Yes, build your own. I'll post into this thread again when I have finished the pcpartpicker list.

FindingCabo

(08-06-2014, 01:56 AM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-06-2014, 01:55 AM)FindingCabo Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, build your own. I'll post into this thread again when I have finished the pcpartpicker list.

Oh wow thanks that would be great!
Assuming this really is only for emulation, I'd use something like this

Spoiler:
I'm not sure about the HDD though. If you're really only using that as a emulation machine, I'd suggest to get a SSD instead.

You won't need a quad-core processor when emulating too. That Pentium is based on the same architecture as the new i5/i7 and can even be overclocked. Thus, you'll most likely get the same performance in Dolphin compared to a same clocked i5/i7. If you have any improvements, just ask.
You can save some money by getting a G3258 + motherboard bundle if you live near a Microcenter ($99 for the set). Newegg has been running some similar bundles recently, too.
I also recommend using an SSD as the OS drive for all computer builds (it just makes Windows run a lot smoother). 128 GB is enough for a boot drive, though 256 GB is better (they can be found for ~$60 and ~$100, respectively). Can add a secondary spinning HDD.

If you want to save some $ on a video card, the R9 280 is just a rebranded Radeon 7950; these can be found on ebay for $120-$140 (note: a bunch of them were used for litecoin mining, but the one's I've picked up have worked fine and often still have a valid manufacturer's warranty). Also, a card like this is going to likely be overkill for Dolphin, and in modern games will be bottlenecked a bit by the G3258. So, if you just want to do emulation only, as you said, a somewhat lower end GPU would suffice . If you have any plans of significant PC gaming in the future, the 280/280x or 7950/7970 would be a great choice, though I would recommend upping the CPU to a Haswell/Devil's Canyon i5.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wTFJgs

Way faster and stronger than what you had, and a bit cheaper. You can knock off some more of the price if you go down to a 750 Ti. This build will dominate in emulatorss and everything else you throw at it.
Pages: 1 2