Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Regarding freezes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, so awhile ago I posted this thread but it got closed because I believe I was using an old version of Dolphin, which isn't supported anymore.

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-do...e-computer

So anyway, I now see that old versions of Dolphin are not supported so instead I decided to just use the most recent version of Dolphin(which should be supported, 4.0-2293, I assume you take revisions too and not just stable versions although I did use 4.0.2 as well) despite that my computer isn't AS powerful to use it, but still powerful to where I can enjoy it and I still get these freezes. If you look at that link you will see the list of things I have enabled but I also forgot to add that I'm using HLE DSP and I even have SweetFX installed. It is a 64-bit version of SweetFX(they exist, google it). I had both SweetFX SMAA and FXAA both enabled, I don't know if this could be a problem with Dolphin or not. Yes, I did check out the HWmonitor and so far I didn't find any overheating and like I said, I was using Direct11 with SweetFX and not Direct9 or OpenGL.

Now that I know that old versions are no longer supported, I tried to see if I could respond to let you know that I'm now using a new version of Dolphin but because the thread is closed, I had to make a new one and I apologize but my real big question is this. Is it not recommended to use Direct11 in Dolphin combinded with SweetFX with having both SMAA and FXAA turned on?
A few things (and I could be wrong):
1) I thought SweetFX only worked with DX9
2) Why are you using SMAA and FXAA?
3) Are you certain your GPU can handle that much AA while emulating? I am skeptical
4) You never told us what game you are playing
5) You never told us your Dolphin settings
Are your GPU or CPU overclocked?
1. According to the Sweetfx website, it said Directx11 although I used a 64 bit version of it, I found it here. https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-sw...phin-64bit
For information saying that SweetFX can be used for Direct11, check this link out http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/swee...nload.html now it may only be referring to just that one version but I could be right or wrong there.
2. Well, I was experimenting. I thought both combined could give you really nice effect.
3. Now that is a good question, but the best answer I'm going to give you are my specs. You can find them in that link I posted in my first post, or read them below.
4. The link said what game I was playing, but if you don't wish to read the link. It was Skyward Sword.
5. I'll repost the Dolphin settings below.
6. No, I never overclock anything. I used to work for a computer company and my knowledge of computers knows that overclocking can be dangerous to a computer, that's why I do not overclock.

Computer specs:
Windows 7
8.00 GB RAM
AMD Phenom X4 965 Processor 3.40 GHz
ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Dolphin settings:
Speed up Disc Transfer rate checked
Custom project hack checkd with both zNear and zFar checked
Direct 11
Scaled EFB copy
Forced texture filtering
4x Native
Ignore format changes
Texture EFB to fast
Disabled EFB checked
Disabled pixel depth checked
Disabled fog checked
Widescreen Hack checked
resolution 1920x1080
DSP HLE

SweetFX settings that are turned on(at the time, I should probably only keep one form of either SMAA or FXAA but not both, I think you have a point):
SMAA
FXAA
Bloom
Lumensharpen
Gaussian
Vibrance
Question: have you tried playing Dolphin without SweetFX, and if so, does it still freeze? If it does not freeze, it's safe to assume SweetFX is the problem. Is the 64-bit version something officially supported by the SweetFX developer? I remember he/she was quite adamant about being 32-bit only, dunno if that position has changed at all. If it's not something official, it's probably a case of not being able to bake your cake and eat it, if you know what I mean. That is to say, if you're getting SweetFX to work on 64-bit environments when it's not designed to, don't be surprised if it blows up. Even if it worked for some, that doesn't mean it always be case for you.