Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can't run Dolphin Emulator on Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Gamer88

Please help i can't find how to run Dolphin Emulator 4.0.2 on the new Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.. When i download it it says ERROR Dependency is not satisfiable .. If anyone needs more info please let me know if i can provide any.
Because I feel you could use a better answer, i'll try explaining it too you.

First of all 4.0.2 is indeed outdated, you should use the newest development builds and keep up to date with it.

Secondly, the build you downloaded is for Ubuntu 13.04, and NOT for Ubuntu 14.04! I wonder why they won't just replace 13.04 builds for 14.04 too, but we have to deal with it.
In the meantime, we can build the emulator from source to make it run properly.
You can find a guide here.
If you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask them!
Quote:I wonder why they won't just replace 13.04 builds for 14.04 too, but we have to deal with it.

Because that requires rewriting large parts of our download system on dolphin-emu.org (blame me for doing it wrong in the first place) and upgrading our Buildbot.
How hard/much time would it take? I ask because if it's not hard then I would volunteer to do it
If you don't know the system, probably a few days of work. It requires some changes in not only the website but also the buildbot and the build notification script. Since it involves a change in the data storage format it also implies having to convert the old data, etc.

It would probably take me a few hours which I'd better spend doing non web stuff, but I guess I'll end up doing it in the end...
Well to be fair, it's better to support a LTS anyways.
13.04 is outdated and support has ended for it (just like Windows XP), so nobody will download it, it's a bit useless at the moment...

Although I can of course not force you to do it (I wouldn't either if I could lol), we Linux users would love you (or someone else) to change it to 14.04. You're then done for at least 4 years!
Note that the long term fix is to get some Ubuntu devs to package us themselves. Our Debian/Ubuntu packaging skills are terrible and I'm not sure we have the resources to continue supporting Ubuntu package releases in the future.
I have not packaged anything for linux but I'm just curios why not go the aptitude route?
Well you still have to package everything, put it in a repository, etc.
If you don't know how to do that, or it takes too much time (especially for every single development build), then it's just not feasible.

The biggest problem is that there are several development builds per day, which you can not all add to a repository. Only a stable version is feasible but it's not recommended to use that version...

No I think it's best to change the download to Ubuntu 14.04, or (maybe even better), replace it for a link with an exact description how to build from source (step by step).