Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Tricky All in One Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want to run dolphin at native settings on the new Lenovo Horizon 2.
It has an i5-4210u and GTX 840a.
I plugged in dolphin to the demo at best buy and tested it out. I got 50-58fps in NSMBW and MKW. Mostly smooth. Very little slowdown but it was there.
Oh and melee slowed down to 50fps with 4 player action.
Is there a way to tweak the settings to make it work? Or is this hardware just not going to cut it?
The CPU is an ultra-low-voltage CPU (ULV), and is too slow for Dolphin, sorry.
(07-26-2014, 12:58 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]The CPU is an ultra-low-voltage CPU (ULV), and is too slow for Dolphin, sorry.

How about the i5-4288u?
If I can get in that thing and upgrade, will this one be sufficient?
(07-26-2014, 01:15 AM)DRJACK6 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-26-2014, 12:58 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]The CPU is an ultra-low-voltage CPU (ULV), and is too slow for Dolphin, sorry.

How about the i5-4288u?

Its still a ULV CPU performance will be similar to the CPU in OP
(07-26-2014, 01:42 AM)natnint4000 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-26-2014, 01:15 AM)DRJACK6 Wrote: [ -> ]

How about the i5-4288u?

Its still a ULV CPU performance will be similar to the CPU in OP

I find it hard to believe it will not help at 3.1ghz
More opinions?
Actually with those games you listed you may have better performance if you can keep the CPU at 3.1ghz
The 4288u has a base clock speed that's near the Turbo of the 4210u. It'll do fine in Dolphin if you've tested the games you want to play and found the speeds to be satisfactory.
It's still considered an ultra low voltage CPU (hence 4288-U) meaning it will throttle down during high workload, plus not to mention the temperature issues that follows. Eventually he will want to run other games (heavier games) and not perform well.
(07-26-2014, 02:54 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]The 4288u has a base clock speed that's near the Turbo of the 4210u. It'll do fine in Dolphin if you've tested the games you want to play and found the speeds to be satisfactory.

Turbo boost stayed at Max when I ran it on the 4210 after I switched power settings to max performance. The 4288 will do the same so it will run constant 3.1ghz

(07-26-2014, 03:16 AM)cyrax33 Wrote: [ -> ]It's still considered an ultra low voltage CPU (hence 4288-U) meaning it will throttle down during high workload, plus not to mention the temperature issues that follows. Eventually he will want to run other games (heavier games) and not perform well.

As stated in OP, those are the 3 games played, I dont play games other than Mario
@cyrax - It (the 4288u) has a base speed of 2.6GHz; it won't go any lower than that. Even at its slowest speed, it plays about as fast as the 4210u at full throttle, which the OP tested personally. I don't see it being an issue. Even with heat, the CPU won't fall below 2.6GHz.

Up until recently, there haven't been any decent ULV CPUs from Intel that would be worth running Dolphin on, but more models are coming out that have minimums in the 2.4~2.8GHz, which is good for a majority of games in Dolphin (since the majority generally isn't demanding).
Pages: 1 2