Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why Wii games are lagging?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I Just get a GTX 760 yesterday and today I tried to run Sonic Colors on it,everything is the maximum native resolution,anti-aliasing and it lag so much that is unplayable,I have tried to decrease resolution to all types and no speedup,tried to decrease anti-aliasing to none and no speed-up and I remember I finished it with a GT 630 with 2x native with just a bit of lag,completely playable,why I have all this lag?
Also only Wii Games have lag except New Super Mario Bros.

My specs are:
GPU: GTX 760 Zotac Amp Edition 2GB
RAM: 8GB Corsair 1600Mhz
CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.2 Ghz
I think your problem is not the GPU, it's your CPU. While your CPU performs well on usual Software (like PC-Games or video editing) it is not the same case for Dolphin. Dolphin uses mainly only two cores and can't use the other six cores that are available on your system. AMDs recent processors do not have a high single-thread performance, that is basically the issue. Did you change your CPU and your GPU at the same time or only the GPU? If the processor is the same, then there is something wrong with your settings/drivers/hardware etc...

You can play a lot of wii/gc games quite well, but i think sonic colors is one of the more demanding ones. Which revision of dolphin are you using? Recent development builds are a lot faster, maybe this helps for you.
(07-23-2014, 01:18 AM)Benze Wrote: [ -> ]I think your problem is not the GPU, it's your CPU. While your CPU performs well on usual Software (like PC-Games or video editing) it is not the same case for Dolphin. Dolphin uses mainly only two cores and can't use the other six cores that are available on your system. AMDs recent processors do not have a high single-thread performance, that is basically the issue. Did you change your CPU and your GPU at the same time or only the GPU? If the processor is the same, then there is something wrong with your settings/drivers/hardware etc...

You can play a lot of wii/gc games quite well, but i think sonic colors is one of the more demanding ones. Which revision of dolphin are you using? Recent development builds are a lot faster, maybe this helps for you.

I Changed my GPU recently,I have changed my CPU 3 months ago,I using the most recent development version,and I make some tests and with OpenGL it runs very good but i can't see any text,like the title,the name of the act,menu.
That's sad,I decided to finish Sonic Colors in Dolphin again because it would be at full speed but I see that is not possible
Most of AMD CPUs sucks with Dolphin because of low IPC rate. Your last resort is overclocking...
Switch over t the D3D backend and see if there's any changes.
LOL,I tried to play it again here and it is in a good speed suddently,this maybe unlogical but when i change the settings in-game the game becomes slow.
And yes I know FX 8350 was not a good choice,but for PC games it is a monster
Even for PC gaming, the Haswell i5's are still better Tongue

Changing the game settings in-game reverts the defaults for the game to whatever you have in the settings panel (the game defaults are there to make sure the games runs its best, so once the game starts, don't open the settings)
(07-23-2014, 11:19 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Even for PC gaming, the Haswell i5's are still better Tongue

Changing the game settings in-game reverts the defaults for the game to whatever you have in the settings panel (the game defaults are there to make sure the games runs its best, so once the game starts, don't open the settings)
not for the price and the multi-threading
Price wise, I will agree. At the same price as the 8350 ($180) is the i5-4460. The i5 would be better for Dolphin due to the faster single core speeds, but the 8350 can overclock and will be better for things needing more cores (say video rendering)

Multi-threading, only in certain applications that can use 8 cores, again like video rendering. But in programs that don't use 8 cores (literally everything else), the 4460 and any higher clocked i3 will perform better due to the better brute force of those stronger single-core speeds