Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: RFToD and MH3 only 25-30fps. Check my spec.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Satyaoka

Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is my first thread.
And I'm new to dolphin emulation too, so I'd appreciate your help.
I'm trying to play Rune Factory Tides of Destiny and Monster Hunter Tri, and I don't get decent FPS, it's capped at 30 while Animal's Crossing reach 60fps.
Here're screenshots of my spec. GPU and CPU. I'm on laptop, can I really run dolphin without lag?

RAM is 4GB.
[Image: 7z9.png] [Image: 2yjo9k0.png]
Quote:I'm trying to play Rune Factory Tides of Destiny and Monster Hunter Tri, and I don't get decent FPS, it's capped at 30 while Animal's Crossing reach 60fps.
MH3 is capped at 30FPS even on the wii
If you want to change that then ask the game director/developer to remake the game in 60FPS
PAL : 50FPS or 25FPS is full speed
NTSC : 60FPS or 30FPS is full speed
Quote:I'm on laptop, can I really run dolphin without lag?
Most laptop don't have enough CPU power to run most games full speed
Multi-media laptop like yours usually run really hot and may overheat with Dolphin
You may follow laptop performance guide :
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#my-lap...-it-should
If your CPU was an i7 4700MQ / i7 4702MQ / i7 4750HQ and your laptop was a gaming laptop then sure most games will run well
i7 3632QM is so much slower (50% slower in Dolphin)
Games are devided into 3 catagories : light-weight game , normal one and demanding one
Demanding games are out of your reach

Satyaoka

Thanks for the reply.

I knew it has something to do with PAL/NTSC...
Well, I can run smoothly in 30fps, but it drops when there're a lot of characters/effects.
Thanks for the link, it helped a bit. Thankfully, my Lenovo z400 touch cooling system is kinda good. I used my laptop for bitcoin mining, and it didn't overheat much.

Do you mind giving/linking a list of games in those 3 categories? Thanks in advance.
bitcoin mining and Prime95 are not even on par with Dolphin madness . You better check your laptop temp when both CPU and GPU are at full load
Your laptop is thin . It's packed with decent hardware (35W+33W) and only have 1 thin fansink to dissipate the heat . Technically speaking , it can't handle Dolphin unless the CPU is underclocked or GPU is at idle mode
Quote:Do you mind giving/linking a list of games in those 3 categories?
There is a list of light-weight games or sth like that somewhere on this forum ....
idk

Satyaoka

Thanks, I'll try to monitor my laptop heat, and I'll check the forum for the list.

I believe this thread could be closed now..
(07-21-2014, 09:55 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]bitcoin mining and Prime95 are not even on par with Dolphin madness .

Actually, it's quite the opposite. Mining and Prime95 stress the CPU as much as possible (hence the term "stress test"). Dolphin provides a realistic high-load scenario.
I think admin89 was pointing out that Dolphin will stress both the CPU and GPU together, while most bitcoin mining will only stress the GPU (no one realistically CPU mines it these days) and Prime95 will only stress the CPU. In a laptop, stressing both components like that could generate more heat than if only one is being stressed. At least that's the point I thought admin89 was trying to raise.
Exactly