Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Inconsistent CPU temps and performance..help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've been using Dolphin 4.0 foe a while now and everything was going great, all my games ran at a constant 100% and my CPU temps didn't go past 42C, today I downloaded the latest development build for Dolphin and everything was going fine until I noticed by CPU temp was now 55C, I didn't make a big deal out of it and for the sake of testing it out I fired up super mario galaxy 2 on the Dolphin 4.0 (which I've been playing a lot lately so I know it can run at 100% on my pc at all times) and noticed that not only my CPU temperature was not 42C anymore (in fact it was just verging 60C now) but the game actually runs slower, it doesn't run now at 60 fps like it used to all the time, but now it's at 50-55 fps. I don't really know what's happening so if anyone could shed light on the situation it would be much appreciated, thank you very much.
Sounds to me like your computer has a problem. What's happening is your CPU is getting hotter meaning Dolphin won't perform as well.

There are a couple of things you can do to have a look at why this is happening:

First of all have you checked the task manager to see what processes are running? I had a problem with my laptop a while ago where it was running awfully slow and crappy - I realised I had a dodgy bit of spyware/malware or whatever that was using loads of my CPU.

Have you cleaned out your computer at all? A lot of dust and dirt inside the case will stop the airflow; meaning your components will overheat

Something has obviously changed in your computer over the past couple of days - whether its a virus or spyware or something or the fact it needs cleaning out - anyway, your CPU is overheating.
Overheating is a relative term. Modern Intel processors are specified to run between about -10°C and 100°C (die temperature, and not necessarily the correct numbers). If it's at 60° under load, then there's headroom still.
I wouldn´t call it overheating, it just isn´tt running at the temperature it used to. I fired up Super Mario Galaxy 2 again on the latest dev build, it seems that when starship mario is on world´s 3 hub the temperature rises (maybe this area is more demanding than the others) but on normal levels it actually decreases and goes to the normal temperature it used to have