Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Upgrading Motherboard, CPU & GPU advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone,

As soon as I'm back from vacation I'm planning to upgrade my computer. What I generally aim to do with the computer is casual gaming (Battlefield, Diablo etc.), watching movies, stream and ofcourse play the dolphin Emulator. Now with my current build (Amd FX 6100 CPU & a Asus Radeon HD 6850) I noticed a lot of Gamecube/Wii games are not running as I would like them run. Games such as Legend of Zelda the Windwaker/Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword, Super Mario Sunshine/Galaxy, SSBM & Mario Kart stutter quite a lot and it would be awsome to play them on an decent FPS without to much hickups. What I had in mind for upgrading my computer components:

Processor: Intel I5 4690k with a Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH cooler
Motherboard: Asus z87-C
GPU: Asus GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5
Memory: 2x 4 GB DDR 3 Corsair

Since I am far from a computer expert I would love to hear some advice on this current setup.
Is it possible to play the above named games in 1080p with decent graphics?
Are there minor improvements you can advice me with not going to far out in the current budget?
Are there any experiences yet with the new I5 4690k processor running dolphin?

Thanks in advance,

Spartex
Here's one that I want to build at the end of summer if I have enough cash from selling my old computer and computer junk: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nrmgator/saved/njx2FT

You can change the graphics card to a better one if you want, but the 750 Ti performs about as well as a GTX 660
Looks quite similair to mine, I already have the RAM & A new Coolermaster G600 watt power supply so that helps out. The only thing I noticed is that i'm not going for the GTX 660 but 760 GPU, isn't the GTX 760 a bit better then the GTX 750 ti one?

Also I can't wonder, what difference is there between a z87 & z97 motherboard?
(07-14-2014, 11:59 AM)Spartex Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing I noticed is that i'm not going for the GTX 660 but 760 GPU, isn't the GTX 760 a bit better then the GTX 750 ti one?

Well, if Dolphin's all you're going to be doing then a 750ti would do quite well; however, the 760 will pretty much blow it out of the water if you plan on doing anything more taxing on the GPU

Z87 v Z97

Quote:Z97 - Support for Devil's Canyon and upcoming Broadwell processors, support for M.2 and SATA Express storage devices.
Keep your AMD 6850 . AMD 6670 GDDR5 is good enough for 1080p . With 6850 , you can add some AA
Quote:What I generally aim to do with the computer is casual gaming
With a weaker GPU like AMD 5770 , my friend can play most PC games at 1080p + high settings .
GTX 760 is based on outdated technology (Kepler) , GTX 750 TI is newer (Maxwell) but it's slower . If was you , I would wait for Nvidia 800 series (Maxwell) which will be released soon
Generally , you only have CPU bottleneck in Dolphin . Upgrade the CPU (+mobo) then all Wii/GC games will fly like a hawk
i5 4690k is a good choice . I personally hate Asus products (mobo and GPU) due to their durability
You should choose an excellent mobo for overclocking like Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 (144$) or MSI Z97 G45 Gaming (145$) .
(07-14-2014, 03:10 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Keep your AMD 6850 . AMD 6670 GDDR5 is good enough for 1080p . With 6850 , you can add some AA
Quote:What I generally aim to do with the computer is casual gaming
With a weaker GPU like AMD 5770 , my friend can play most PC games at 1080p + high settings .
GTX 760 is based on outdated technology (Kepler) , GTX 750 TI is newer (Maxwell) but it's slower . If was you , I would wait for Nvidia 800 series (Maxwell) which will be released soon
Generally , you only have CPU bottleneck in Dolphin . Upgrade the CPU (+mobo) then all Wii/GC games will fly like a hawk
i5 4690k is a good choice . I personally hate Asus products (mobo and GPU) due to their durability
You should choose an excellent mobo for overclocking like Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 (144$) or MSI Z97 G45 Gaming (145$) .

Thanks for the advice, I thought my AMD 6850 was outdated but I'm quessing my current processor (AMD FX 6100) is what's currently holding me back then.
Is there any indication on the release of those Nvidia 800 series yet, a new serie looks even more interesting to me.

Secondly, what brand would you advice beside Asus? People seem to have all kind of different ideas on brands, one tells me to get asus & the other one tells me to get MSI for example (GPU Wise).
As for your suggestion I will deffinitly go for a Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 or MSI Z87 G45 Gaming if it makes a big difference in performance, the 30-40 euro extra won't bother me that much. What Motherboard would you advice for Gaming & Dolphin?
IMO
Nvidia : EVGA
AMD : Sapphire
Sapphire isn't just one of the highest quality in terms of AMD GPUs; it's also the lowest price. If you go AMD, go Sapphire or go home. Unless you don't want to overclock, and want the fastest non-overclocked GPU that will overheat as possible, then ASUS.
Allright - thanks both for the great advice.

I have one final question regarding overclocking the I5 4690. With a scythe mugen 4 PCGH fancooler, what GHz would you advice me to overclock towards?
You can overclock as much as you can . You will have to keep Vcore below 1.35V if you want to be safe
Lower Vcore = Safer OC , lower temp
Quote:I have one final question regarding overclocking the I5 4690.
I hope it's an typo . i5 4690 can't be overclocked , only i5 4690k can
Pages: 1 2