Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Should I upgrade my processor to i7-4790k for better perfirmance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I currently have a i54670k.

I get great performance from dolphin amd rellay cant complain.

But the new 17-4790k is out. It has a base clock of 4.0 amd can overclock on air without getting unreasonably hot.

So im just wondering if anybody have any first hand experience with the i74790k...and is it worth the upgrade.
That's a lot of cash to drop for a CPU whose primary benefit is a higher overclocking ability. Sure you can push the i7-4790K farther than most i5-4670Ks, but a properly overclocked i5-4670K will run just about anything Dolphin can throw at it. In my honest opinion it's not worth it. You'd do well to wait until Skylake comes out if you want an upgrade that's worth your money. So yeah, keep the i5-4670K since it's a beast for Dolphin (that's not going to change any time soon either). Nothing's broken, don't try to fix anything.
In general I'd say yes, but from what you have, it's more, iffy in terms of price. I mean if was a $200 CPU I'd say go for it.
Even if price weren't a concern, it'd still be a purchase not worth making. You aren't going to get a massive boost in Dolphin performance (Dolphin does not take advantage of hyperthreading, and it is primarily a dual-core app) outside of being able to overclock higher. As far as I know, Devil's Canyon is still based on the Haswell architecture, so it's single-threaded performance should be on par with the i5-4670K. The chief difference would be overclocking potential. Upgrading to get 400~500MHz more, regardless of price, doesn't seem especially smart when you get your desired performance already.

It'd be different if one was like me, coming from an i5-2500K, where the difference between Haswell and Sandy Bridge is close to a 30% improvement if I were to upgrade.
I personally would love to know how the new chip performs on Dolphin, but in reality, as someone who's already invested in the coveted 4770k build... I don't think there's much justification in upgrading now either.

On one hand, my overclocking potential is indeed disappointingly limited. I can't go much above a stable 4.3ghz, whereas the 4790k surpasses that on stock turboboost with no OC at all. I was originally hoping to aim for around 4.5ghz or so, but oh well. I can probably hit that later in the pc's life with some new firmware.

On the other hand... there isn't a single game in my current dolphin collection that's not fully playable now. Zelda TP has been patched and more or less fixed. The prime trilogy runs well, with only minor microstuttering in prime 3. Galaxy 1 and 2 run great. Most other games are far less demanding. Much of this is thanks to major optimizations in the emulator itself! And I'm sure the devs can pull at least a few more punches...

But we've crossed a major threshhold. You no longer need the latest hardware to max out the most in demand first party titles.
I was wondering this same thing OP. Last November I upgraded from an i5-2500k to an i5-4670k. I'm currently running OC @ 4.1ghz (1.18vcore). I'm a little disappointed that I haven't been able to OC higher. I tend to get crashes or run too hot if I even push it to 4.2ghz. I might have to do some more tinkering, as I know I've run at 4.3ghz in the past fairly stable. I'm able to run a lot of games very well at higher resolutions, even Zelda TP is playable for me now w/ the new hack (thank you!). I gave up on that game for about 6 months, as I just could not bring myself to go back to 480p on my Wii lol. I'm a bit of a performance whore though, and was curious if I'd see any improvment going to a Devil's Canyon. It looks like the performance jump would be negligible. I don't really care about the cost, I'm generally able to sell my parts for almost what I bought them for, so the upgrade $$$ would be small. I'd just really prefer not to have to spend the time installing a new Z97 mobo and re-do all of that stuff for an improvement in speed that isn't even noticeable. Looks like I'll be waiting for Broadwell or Skylake.
(07-31-2014, 05:53 AM)Suprvgeta Wrote: [ -> ]I was wondering this same thing OP. Last November I upgraded from an i5-2500k to an i5-4670k. I'm currently running OC @ 4.1ghz (1.18vcore). I'm a little disappointed that I haven't been able to OC higher. I tend to get crashes or run too hot if I even push it to 4.2ghz. I might have to do some more tinkering, as I know I've run at 4.3ghz in the past fairly stable. I'm able to run a lot of games very well at higher resolutions, even Zelda TP is playable for me now w/ the new hack (thank you!). I gave up on that game for about 6 months, as I just could not bring myself to go back to 480p on my Wii lol. I'm a bit of a performance whore though, and was curious if I'd see any improvment going to a Devil's Canyon. It looks like the performance jump would be negligible. I don't really care about the cost, I'm generally able to sell my parts for almost what I bought them for, so the upgrade $$$ would be small. I'd just really prefer not to have to spend the time installing a new Z97 mobo and re-do all of that stuff for an improvement in speed that isn't even noticeable. Looks like I'll be waiting for Broadwell or Skylake.

If you upgrade you'll probably see around a 500-900mhz improvement which wont do much for you.. better off waiting.