Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Intel Pentium G3258 emulator performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone, Ive been following the emulator scene closely, both PCSX2, Dolphin and others, and I recently got the Intel Pentium G3258 to experiment with, over the week I'll be testing the performance of the processor overclocked at 4.4GHz.
It's well known the Dolphin requires quite some CPU grunt to emulate games at full-speed, so i thought I'd give it a shot with the G3258.
I strongly believe this processor is the next big thing in the emulation scene, It's so affordable and performs really when you overclock it, and due to Dolphin and PCSX2 only using two cores to their fullest at the most It's likely the most affordable and best processor for emulation, period.
(I bought this processor for £50)

Hardware:
ROG Freedom
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 @4.4GHz
Memory: 6GB 1333mhz DDR3
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Gene VII (Purchased for futureproofing for an i5 or i7 K of Devil's Canyon Haswell or Broadwell)
GPU: MSI GTX 760 Hawk @1280MHz core, 6808MHz memory (Onpar with a 670 at stock clocks)
PSU: Corsair CX600

My original thread on OCN: http://www.overclock.net/t/1500524/penti...nce-thread

Today I'll be testing the performance in Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid Prime and uploading footage of the performance and I'll give the CPU benchmark for Dolphin a go, I haven't had much luck with it since it crashes whenever I try to launch the test, I've read up that it's likely recent Nvidia drivers which may be preventing it from working, If I do happen to get it working I'll give the benchmark a shot!

For Super Mario Galaxy 2 I'm running the latest stable build of Dolphin, 4.0.2.

Metroid Prime

When I find my Wind-Waker disc and other GC games I'll be sure to do videos with them on this processor, I've already covered quite a few PS2 games in my original thread if anybody is interested, including having this processor essentially "brute force" Shadow of the Colossus with ease and Zone of the Enders The 2nd Runner.
That is pretty impressive, use the latest dev. builds they have the improved HLE engine which doesn't cut the music out.
(07-11-2014, 08:26 PM)sektor Wrote: [ -> ]That is pretty impressive, use the latest dev. builds they have the improved HLE engine which doesn't cut the music out.

Thanks, Stable or Developmental?
I had my Wind Waker video recorded but there was no sound so I didn't upload it, I'll have to do it again soon.
I have the Metroid Prime intro up though, I'll edit the OP.
Development builds give the best speed and HLE fixed
What are your settings in Dolphin? Are you using EFB to RAM?
(07-12-2014, 12:58 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Development builds give the best speed and HLE fixed

Okay thanks, I'll give that a shot.

(07-12-2014, 01:23 AM)drhycodan Wrote: [ -> ]What are your settings in Dolphin? Are you using EFB to RAM?

Basic Settings: Enable Dual Core (speedup)
Enable Idle Skipping (Speedup)

Advanced Settings
CPU Emulator Engine: JIT Recompiler (Recommended)

Audio
DSP Emulator Engine
DSP LLE recompiler

Backend Settings:
Audio Backend XAudio2

Graphics
Backend: OPENGL (I had it on DX11 before, I switched it to OPENGL just to see if it was much different, I haven't played around with this setting since Skyward Sword)

Fullscreen resolution: 1920x1080
Aspect Ratio: Force 16:9
User fullscreen

Internal Resolution 4x Native (2560x2112)
Anti-Aliasing 4x
Antistropic Filtering: 16x
Post Processing Effect (Off)
Scaled EFB Copy: Checked
Per-Pixel Lighting: Checked
Force Texture Filtering: Checked
Widescreen Hack: Checked
Disable Fog: Unchecked

Hacks Skip EFB Acces from CPU: Unchecked
EFB Copies
Disable: Unchcked
Texture: Checked
RAM: Unchecked

Texture Cache: On Fast, the furthest it can go (I haven't played around with this since Skyward Sword too, and that was a couple of months ago)
External Frame Buffer: Disable (Checked)

Cache Display List: Checked
Fast Depth Calculation: Checked
Open MP Texture Decoder: Checked
Vertex Streaming Hack: Unchecked
Disable Destination Alpha: Unchecked
OpenCL Texture Decoded: Unchecked
Try the latest dev build, there's a better fix that removes Vertex Streaming Hack, but it's better/faster. Also put fullscreen res to auto.
(07-12-2014, 06:53 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Try the latest dev build, there's a better fix that removes Vertex Streaming Hack, but it's better/faster. Also put fullscreen res to auto.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot over the weekend.
I ran the Dolphin Benchmark, I had to roll back my Nvidia drivers to 320.49

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258, stock cooler, 4GHz
Total Time: 7 minutes 52 seconds (472 seconds)
http://cdn.overclock.net/d/d9/d9924fb5_g...chmark.PNG

JoeTheUseless

Does the Graphics card inpact the game alot i heard dolphin is more CPU dependant does a good card increase performance?
Pages: 1 2