Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Hardware Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Soleurs

So I have got Dolphin rev. 4.0-2047, and I have tried out a few things, but my main question is, is the following hardware able to run Galaxy and Galaxy 2 at full speed on 1080p?

Intel Core i7-4810MQ @2.7GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX880M (8GB)
12GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz
Windows 8.1 x64.

Thank you in advance for your help.
If you can force maximum performance out of your laptop then yes
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide
Hints : Your CPU must run at 3.6GHz or higher with turbo boost (or overclock it via Intel XTU , Maximum OC clock : 4.0GHz) , your GPU must be use . Read the performance guide above carefully
Keep in mind though, laptops tend to overheat, and running Dolphin on maximum performance is a big no no if you don't have the right equipment for your laptop to cope with it, it can very easily end up overheating and causing issues, mainly because the GPU and CPU share the same heatsink

elemein

(07-09-2014, 03:22 AM)linker357 Wrote: [ -> ]Keep in mind though, laptops tend to overheat, and running Dolphin on maximum performance is a big no no if you don't have the right equipment for your laptop to cope with it, it can very easily end up overheating and causing issues, mainly because the GPU and CPU share the same heatsink

That is not always the case.
What do you mean?
The hardware in his laptop is typically only in gaming laptops with dedicated heatsinks and fans for the CPU and GPu

elemein

(07-09-2014, 03:54 AM)linker357 Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean?

Sorry for late reply, didn't see.

I'm saying that laptop overheating, while it does happen by far and large, can be kept well at bay with even simple cooling designs and mechanisms such as Throttling and SpeedStep.

Also, as khg said, some laptops have dedicated fans and/or heatpipes for the two separate processors. My own laptop specifically has separate heatpipes for each component.

Of course, you may still be right with OP; his laptop may not be cut for it, but the possibility of it being OK is actually pretty decent.