Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How well would my laptop be able to run most games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

darkstar738

Intel i7-4700QM 2.4GHz
GeForce Gt 750M
8GB RAM
Windows 7
Laptop

How well do you think i can most games, but the main one i want to play is melee?
Melee you should be able to play like nothing with that processor, from what i know, the only problem you will have is Twilight princess apparently, i could be wrong on this but you should be able to play a lot of the games
Melee should run smooth... should

I tried Melee on a 15" MacBook Pro (2760QM Processor) (Windows 7, x64 Bootcamp), and it ran at 100% most of the time, except for a bit of lag between menus etc.

The only problem is on a laptop the cooling is no where near as good; it could be a case of your processor over-heating that impact performance.

Try it though; Melee is relatively light in regards to say Twilight Princess or other games.

darkstar738

thanks for the replys.
Beacuse the Nvidia card and the CPU share a heatsink together, you should play your games using the Intel HD 4600 when possible to prevent temperature throttling. You'll still be able to hit like 2-3x IR dependiong on the game.

You should have no problem running Melee. @himalayan: the CPU you're talking about is a 2nd gen CPU, and the i7-4700MQ is a Haswell CPU. For the same clock speeds, Ivy (3rd gen) had a 20% boost over Sandy (2nd gen), and Haswell (4th) has a 30% boost over Ivy.
Sorry to derail the discussion a bit but why is that architecture improvements show up so much for emulation?

elemein

(07-11-2014, 07:37 AM)Oemenia Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to derail the discussion a bit but why is that architecture improvements show up so much for emulation?

I'm not a dolphin developer, so I am not entirely sure, but;

Dolphin stresses the CPU a lot, it also seems to use many different ISA extensions that most other programs aren't fit to use quite yet (AVX, AVX2, SSE4+, FMA3/4, etc.)

While the clear differences in performance potential between Sandy Bridge and Haswell (Ivy Bridge isnt an entirely new architecture on it's own.), such as the remodeled execution units, added simple ALU, added LSUs, larger queues, etc. help immensely in performance alone, the addition of AVX2 which allows integer SIMD operations (very common. Especially in past SIMD usage such as with SSE) make the difference even larger.

Remember, AVX has literally twice the SIMD potential of SSE, while being completely compatible with SSE. So a CPU capable of using the AVX2 ISA extension can perform tons of different 256-bit SIMD operations, including integer ones. AVX1 is 256-bits wide as well, but mostly deals with floating point numbers (far less common), and of course, SSE as a whole can only address 128-bits, so it's potential is half that of any variant of AVX.

Sandy Bridge is AVX compliant, but NOT AVX2 compliant.
Haswell is AVX2 compliant.

If you were to ask more specific questions, I may be able to help a bit more, sorry for the vagueness.
That'd be a great explanation, except the Anniversary Pentium doesn't have the same AVX support as the rest of the Haswell lineup, but still has pretty much the same performance per core in Dolphin.

elemein

(07-11-2014, 10:22 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]That'd be a great explanation, except the Anniversary Pentium doesn't have the same AVX support as the rest of the Haswell lineup, but still has pretty much the same performance per core in Dolphin.

Hrm, good point, I didn't think of that.

Then the large bulk of the performance increase is likely due to:

A- Only some games making good use of the AVX extensions
B- Haswell's inherent architectural changes
C- The Pentium being able to 100% speed most games anyways and it struggles on the same games even a 4790K struggles on so the difference doesnt really matter.

I'm guessing it's probably C.
Its actually closer to option B and what you said in the other post, minus the AVX stuff.
Pages: 1 2