Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Thinking of upgrading my CPU.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After hearing about Haswell's Refresh, Devil's Canyon, I've been thinking about upgrading.
But my question is: Is it worth it?

I currently have an Ivy Bridge i5 3570k @ 4.0Ghz (OC) and was thinking about the new 4790k ($339 + MB Price.)
The 4.0/4.5Ghz Stock clocks sound really nice and with a cooler other than the stock cooler would probably land 4.8Ghz+.

I know there are other places to ask this, but this is one of my favorite boards to discuss CPUs.

So, what do you guys think? Upgrade from a 3570k to a 4790k or wait until Broadwell?
(07-05-2014, 02:44 PM)gotest Wrote: [ -> ]After hearing about Haswell's Refresh, Devil's Canyon, I've been thinking about upgrading.
But my question is: Is it worth it?

I currently have an Ivy Bridge i5 3570k @ 4.0Ghz (OC) and was thinking about the new 4790k ($339 + MB Price.)
The 4.0/4.5Ghz Stock clocks sound really nice and with a cooler other than the stock cooler would probably land 4.8Ghz+.

I know there are other places to ask this, but this is one of my favorite boards to discuss CPUs.

So, what do you guys think? Upgrade from a 3570k to a 4790k or wait until Broadwell?

Broadwell is rumoured to be delayed in the Desktop world until July 2015. Honestly I would just upgrade now.
For Dolphin , it's worth every buck you pay since Haswell is 30% faster than Ivy Bridge in Dolphin Benchmark
Haswell is slightly faster than Ivy Bridge on most apps (5%~) , not really worth the upgrade . However , i7 4790k is extremely good at overclocking and 8 threads (Hyper Threading) will help you a lot in multi-threaded apps
Hmm... I had no idea that Haswell made a big difference for Dolphin.

I guess I'll upgrade to the the 4790k then.
It'll be about ~$500 to upgrade, but it'll be worth it in this case. Because I would really like to have those higher clock speeds.
Plus I'll be getting a pretty nice CPU heatsink to help with OCing.
(07-05-2014, 10:03 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]For Dolphin , it's worth every buck you pay since Haswell is 30% faster than Ivy Bridge in Dolphin Benchmark
Haswell is slightly faster than Ivy Bridge on most apps (5%~) , not really worth the upgrade . However , i7 4790k is extremely good at overclocking and 8 threads (Hyper Threading) will help you a lot in multi-threaded apps

If you do get a 4790k do your research first. How far are you going to overclock? What motherboard are going to get? My friend has a 4790k but he can only overclock a few MHz because of this poor motherboard choice. Me on the other hand can reach 6GHz (not for long though)on a 3820.

I also have a hard time believing this 30% faster claim. If we were comparing the Core 2 Quad with a first gen i7 I'd believe it. If we were comparing a gen i7 to a 6 core Haswell I'd believe it.

But Ivy to Haswell, no way.
The Ivy to Haswell performance boost has been a documented boost by many users. As per the Dolphin Benchamrk: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...ring#gid=0
Well, I haven't decided on a motherboard just yet. Since Devil's Canyon is only a month old, I haven't really bothered with that kind of research just yet.
A little assistance might be nice, and I'm willing to spend $150-$200.
(07-06-2014, 02:20 PM)gotest Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I haven't decided on a motherboard just yet. Since Devil's Canyon is only a month old, I haven't really bothered with that kind of research just yet.
A little assistance might be nice, and I'm willing to spend $150-$200.

Any Z97 should do.. Check here: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboar...=7,8,18,27
Personally I have the Gigabyte Z97M-D3H and it does what I need it to and has a pretty nice bios layout. Haven't OC'd yet but the bios is very user friendly and I am certain it will OC well (considering it's a Gigabyte board). Devil's Canyon cpu's probably OC to around 4.6 or so.
Quote:I also have a hard time believing this 30% faster claim. If we were comparing the Core 2 Quad with a first gen i7 I'd believe it. If we were comparing a gen i7 to a 6 core Haswell I'd believe it.

But Ivy to Haswell, no way.
Forget your logic , forget everything you know ! We are talking about Dolphin and how non-sense it can be
Sandy Bridge is up to 20% faster than Nehalem in most apps , right ? In Dolphin Benchmark , i5 750 @ 3.7GHz outperforms i7 2600k @ 3.4GHz . So the difference is like 5% or even less
As you can see in the benchmark , i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz beats i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz by a few seconds. If the difference is not 30% then what is it ?
Apparently , the new unlocked dual core Pentium Haswell G3258 has been tested as well . Then again , Pentium Haswell @ 4.5GHz beats i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz by a few seconds