Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 3x vs 4x IR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is there a difference between 3x and 4x on a 1080p display? What resolutions do IR equate to?
3x is 1920x1584 and 4x is 2560x2112
So will there be any difference from 3x to 4x on a 1080p display?
Yeah. It reduces the jaggies.
(07-04-2014, 04:45 AM)potate Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah. It reduces the jaggies.

No it doesn't. It, unfortunately, doesn't work like that.

What it does do, though, is increases the EFB scale (if you have that option on) so that you can get rid of things like the stupid blur in Wind Waker.

Qaazavaca Qaanic

Isn't removing the blur using cheats a far better way than increasing your IR to ridiculous levels? Assuming there is a cheat code to do that. Maybe someone can make one?
(07-04-2014, 05:00 AM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-04-2014, 04:45 AM)potate Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah. It reduces the jaggies.

No it doesn't. It, unfortunately, doesn't work like that.

Actually, it does do just that. Since you're using a source with a higher image quality (4x IR) you have more information to use when downscaling to 1080p vs 3x IR. The blending between edges will therefore be more accurate, giving them smoother appearances. This is NaturalViolence 101 stuff :p Anyway, you can test it out for yourself, but the thing is, the higher the IR (and IQ), the harder it is to perceive significant differences in aliasing reduction. So your eyes might not see an overwhelming difference between 3x or 4x IR when both are downscaled to 1080p.

I should highlight that raising IR, however, is still inferior to using AA methods like MSAA (for geometry only), or SSAA, or whatever fancy thing your GPU drivers can throw at Dolphin.
Well, 4x is only two times 1080p when stretched. It's a really, really small improvement, not even as much improvement as 2xAA.
Fwiw, the developers have said that Dolphin's scaling method sucks, so that's not helping any. At any rate, as I said, when you start getting into high IRs, the difference is going to be negligible or even unnoticeable (when those IRs are above your display's resolution, that's an important bit I left out earlier Sad). Higher IRs as AA is not recommended over "dedicated" AA methods, though higher IRs can obviate the need for AA altogether. There are many Wii games I'll play just fine at 3x IR. If your GPU has the muscle to throw out higher IRs, that processing power could usually better be spent on MSAA, SSAA, etc.
Well my GPU doesn't have problems from 3x to 4x IR, but putting any amount of AA causes a lot of lag.
Pages: 1 2