Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My first pc build (Newbie)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Thanks but I've already ordered the parts they were slightly changed to:
ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 combo (Save $80.00 when purchased together i5 4690k)
ASUS DirectCU II Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 CrossFireX (I think it was $10 less with promo code)
Nice! 265 to 270X is a good jump. You've got an amazing system for a first build.
Thanks now I am just waiting for the parts to assemble them.
Quote:Nice! 265 to 270X is a good jump.
Not for Dolphin anyway . The memory bandwidth stay the same but consume more power (more heat)
For the price , the 265 is a better buy IMO
I was thinking that newer is better but, that wasn't the case I wrong (I had a bad feeling that it was to good the be truth). Hopefully the swapped parts won't cripple the system if their is a next time I'll pay more attention.
Memory Bandwith is not all that matters in Dolphin. I thought that was already settled?
(07-10-2014, 10:23 AM)jkpwed Wrote: [ -> ]I was thinking that newer is better but, that wasn't the case I wrong (I had a bad feeling that it was to good the be truth). Hopefully the swapped parts won't cripple the system if their is a next time I'll pay more attention.

No, you made a good decision. Even if your build was strictly for Dolphin, it's a smart investment for a measly +$30. Heat should not be an issue at all unless you had my messed up XFX Radeon HD 5770 from my old build. Idled at 64 C.

Some comparison info if you're interested: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Sapphire-Radeon-...on-R9-270X
Quote:Memory Bandwith is not all that matters in Dolphin . I thought that was already settled?
It still matters . The higher memory bandwidth the higher resolution you can get .
For Example : My 9800GT GDDR3 512MB (57.6GB/sec) can handle 3xIR on most games , AMD 6670 1GB DDR3 (25.6GB/sec) from my friend can only handle up to 2.5xIR (2xIR on most games) . We all know that 9800GT is weaker and older ...
If you enable AA (Anti-aliasing) then not only Memory Bandwidth but also Pixel Rate matters
NaturalViolence, who's the source of the myth, has confirmed that it was just speculation that the memory bandwidth was the best metric to look at, and also that in actual fact, the correlation isn't that strong. The rule of thumb is that a faster GPU is faster, and the R270X is a faster GPU.
What is done is done admin89 was just trying to help and for that I am thankful their is no reason to trying explain this kind of stuff simply I wouldn't
understand. To me extra heat means less GPU life and the hotter the GPU gets the slower it will be.
Pages: 1 2 3