Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What Then?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey Dolphin Team, what do you guys plan on doing after you fix every single bug in Dolphin and perfect its featureset?
They don't know.
Probably add in more features that people want
Let's say that the Dolphin team is probably very far from being there yet.

The only emulator, I think, that have absolute, total compatibility and perfect emulation is Higan for SNES. It took a while for the emulator scene to ever get there.

It's all variants though, dev. teams being bigger/smaller, time and resources. I'm pretty sure they'll be busy with Dolphin for a couple of year, haha!
Umm, there is not really a "team" so to speak. More like many guys/gals that just enjoying working on a an amazing project. They will come and go, I dont think there emulator will ever reach %100, nor do many emulators.
The developers will go to Disney World!! \o/

Yeah, though 100% compatibility is going to be quite elusive for a while. Higan is the most prominent example, but there probably are more examples for other pre-NES consoles, or less complex systems, systems with a limited number of games. I think Mednafen's Virtual Boy emulator has 100% compatibility (dunno about total down-to-the-cycle accuracy) in all commercial games (there are like less than 30 VB games or something).
That will never happen.
Yes it will. In 20 years our computers will be fast enough to run it all in software ala higan and neobrain will finally be happy!
(07-02-2014, 08:07 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]The developers will go to Disney World!! \o/

Yeah, though 100% compatibility is going to be quite elusive for a while. Higan is the most prominent example, but there probably are more examples for other pre-NES consoles, or less complex systems, systems with a limited number of games. I think Mednafen's Virtual Boy emulator has 100% compatibility (dunno about total down-to-the-cycle accuracy) in all commercial games (there are like less than 30 VB games or something).

Ahh yes but more importantly these emulators aim to accomplish that very task, Dolphin in all its glory never did. In the beginning it was very high-level, I'm sure it still is and by no means is Dolphin planning on accurate emulation at this point. As long as you take this approach, like many other emulators do, you will never reach %100. So really the question is what is the goal? Dolphin is without a doubt aimed at playing games. Yeah I said it, but let's face it, that is what most of us are here for. Very few of us even admire the working that goes in to it( I'm not pointing fingers here) and more importantly know what type of work goes in to it. As I said on another post, Dolpinh has the power of numbers. It's really good at what it does and offers so much to the public. Though in all of its glory its not accurate emulation. Accurately emulating a snes has the same requirements as dolpinh, image what dolphin would require. And Higan is not emulating down to the transistor level, it to makes many guesses. However it now plays every snes game 100% correctly, and that is something...

I tried to write a gui for Higan in hopes someone would jump in but no go on that. Higan really needs a face lift.

If anyone is curious this was it.
http://forums.emulator-zone.com/showthre...ight=higan
I don't know if every emulator that achieves 100% compatibility does so out of trying to do just that. It may be the case that a system is so basic and primitive that writing one to play them all is trivial, or as I pointed out with Mednafen's VB emulation, the number of games to perfect is just surprisingly low.

Higan truly is an amazing piece of software, but remember, after a certain point, there's no need to go any lower in low-level emulation. It may not emulate things on the transitor, molecular, or atomic level, but emulating each hardware component in software is just "enough". When you get down to it, all the program has to do is generate the correct pattern of lights on your screen and push the correct pattern of signal pulses to your speakers at the right time. There are a lot of steps to achieve this, but from the previous viewpoint, nothing says it can't be done in software. Just pointing that out since a lot of people always throw around the concern that emulation might need to go even lower level than we've seen it go so far Wink
Pages: 1 2 3