Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Gamecube Widescreen AR codes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wind Waker and Melee have had AR codes created to change the camera FOV correctly software-side, compared to the hardware emulation side forcing the virtual camera frustum into widescreeen.
I wonder if it would be possible to do this for more games?

I realise it won't work for everything. particularly full-screen or background images are unlikely to work in widescreen in some cases, but in theory, changing the FOV or view frustum in-code would correct object culling and possibly prevent stretching UIs.

Theoretically every game must have this in its code somewhere, so I am asking if the people who created the existing AR codes could share the process for finding the values in memory/on the ISO to be patched. Are there ways to make finding this easier at run-time using dolphin (for example tracing back the FOV passed to the hardware back to the point it was read from disc?), or does it have to be done using IDA-pro and a DOL plugin just disassembling code and following it through to find the relevant line (or looking for constants)?

I've wanted to get into ROM hacking before, but I find the whole IDA thing quite daunting to get into with no guidance so if this is what is required, I would really appreciate any help I could get.

As a side-note, my reason for this is that I have been using dolphin with Tridef Ignition and Steam In-home streaming to play in 3d on my 3d tv, and it's great with 2 minor problems: wide-screen and the default camera depth. If anyone has any idea why everything sticks OUT of the screen when using Tridef (or how to fix it), please let me know (and btw I've already tried changing tridef's settings but it's always sticking OUT of the screen when I use dolphin). Maybe it's the formatting of the depth buffer?

Paper Mario, Mario Kart and Chibi Robo would be great choices for our first games to try Smile