Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin crashes on all games (after 5-10 minutes of play)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

sfamicom

I know this may be vague and hard to diagnose, but I'm hoping for some ideas. Dolphin seems to crash on every game I try to play, but only after getting 5-10 minutes into the game. I just get a generic "dolphin.exe has stopped working" error. Here are my system specs:

Dolphin 4.0-1981

Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
GeForce GTX 760 (192-bit)
16 GB RAM
Windows 8.1 x64

I've looked around and can't find anything that works. Hoping for some ideas. Thanks!
Generic advice: Try deleting the shader cache. It's in the Dolphin folder in My Documents (in the Cache folder iirc). No need to delete the whole folder, just the files inside.

sfamicom

(06-29-2014, 04:08 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Generic advice: Try deleting the shader cache. It's in the Dolphin folder in My Documents (in the Cache folder iirc). No need to delete the whole folder, just the files inside.

Just tried that - now it just froze instead of giving me the "has stopped working error". Sigh. Sad
Make sure you have Skip EFB Access from CPU unchecked (in the Graphics options)? I don't know if this still causes issues with the latest Nvidia drivers, but it's something to try.
You can also try changing the audio backend to dsound; that has bene afflicting some Windows 8 users but not others.

sfamicom

(06-29-2014, 05:22 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]You can also try changing the audio backend to dsound; that has bene afflicting some Windows 8 users but not others.

I think changing the audio to dsound worked - I had a freeze since, but not the full "dolphin.exe has stopped working" crash. Thanks! I'll keep playing and hopefully this has solved the issue!!
(07-07-2014, 10:03 PM)sfamicom Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-29-2014, 05:22 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]You can also try changing the audio backend to dsound; that has bene afflicting some Windows 8 users but not others.

I think changing the audio to dsound worked - I had a freeze since, but not the full "dolphin.exe has stopped working" crash. Thanks! I'll keep playing and hopefully this has solved the issue!!

I had the same issue for some reason Xaudio doesn't play well with win 8/8.1
It's not necessarily a Dolphin bug since it crashes other programs also (according to Google)
(07-08-2014, 12:17 PM)bomblord Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-07-2014, 10:03 PM)sfamicom Wrote: [ -> ]

I had the same issue for some reason Xaudio doesn't play well with win 8/8.1

Same problem here. Windows 8.1, and Xaudio2 is probably the issue with my Dolphin crashing the whole time. To be sure now, I just use OpenGL with LLE (rendered to thread) and Dsound. Haven't had any issues with Dsound.
Make sure LLE on thread is OFF on Mario, Zelda games. you should be using HLE for most other games anyway.