Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD 8-Core 8320 having issues running Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

acm1108

Hi there been trying to get Dolphin to work to the best of it's abilities. I've reset all settings back to default after trying to 'tweak them'.

The problem is just about every game is laggy in the sense of low/choppy FPS and audio cutting in and out. My CPU is hitting maybe 20-30% utilization during this time.

If someone could help me try and tweak dolphin to work that would be great.

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of the benchmark test http://i.imgur.com/zM28viU.png

Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-8320 51 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 722MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A97 LE R2.0 (Socket 942) 36 °C
Graphics
ASUS VE278 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner) 40 °C
Storage
698GB Seagate ST3750528AS (SATA) 39 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device
AMD Bulldozer's are pretty much crap compared to Intel processors (in Dolphin).

You might want to overclock that thing and see if it improves performance.

acm1108

Dang, was hoping to use my new(er) gaming rig for dolphin. Luckily I have the y510p which runs dolphin with no issues. If anyone has any other advice as to how to get it to run smoother let me know please!
Which games?

Anti-Ultimate, unless he's running really tough games, something's configured wrong. I love how frequently people forget that I exist over here, on my Athlon II X2, running loads of games perfectly fine.

acm1108

(06-29-2014, 03:45 AM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]Which games?

Anti-Ultimate, unless he's running really tough games, something's configured wrong. I love how frequently people forget that I exist over here, on my Athlon II X2, running loads of games perfectly fine.

I tried NEW Super Mario Bros and SSB Melee.
Maybe you can tell me how you have your rig configured
Oh, dear, abandon ship, I can't play those.

Good luck, though.

For configuration, most games require very specific configuration for optimum performance. For example: Paper Mario TTYD gets a massive speed and visual drop with Anisotropic Filtering, but most games are completely fine with it.

I only have Melee right now, so I can go and try configuring that faster and report back what I find, but at this point, everything that changes load distribution should be shifted off the CPU. This is the first step to figuring out the optimal configuration. The second step, which goes before the first, is being absolutely sure you're using the latest version of Dolphin.

EDIT: I took a look, it performed fine for me when it mattered with my TTYD settings, that is, 2xAA, window-size IR, that kind of thing. I just changed EFB copies to texture, and that's all. Only lagged slightly in a few fights, and that was the only lag when it mattered. My conclusion is that something's wrong on your hardware/configuration, or you're using an old version of Dolphin.