Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Buying a new laptop soon...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I'm making sure I'll make the right purchase first.

I aim to have the cheapest possible laptop that can run all Dolphin games at full speed and also run recent games at good FPS (min 30). Don't really care if it runs at 800 x 600.
Quote:I aim to have the cheapest possible laptop that can run all Dolphin games at full speed
No laptop is able to do that atm . You seem to underestimate Dolphin requirement
Not even an OCed i7 4770k @ 4.6GHz can run all games (Wii/GC) full speed . Mobile CPUs are out of the question (even if you had 3000$ laptop with extreme edition CPU)

Have a budget ?
(06-26-2014, 09:21 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I aim to have the cheapest possible laptop that can run all Dolphin games at full speed
No laptop is able to do that atm . You seem to underestimate Dolphin requirement
Not even an OCed i7 4770k @ 4.6GHz can run all games (Wii/GC) full speed . Mobile CPUs are out of the question (even if you had 3000$ laptop with extreme edition CPU)

Have a budget ?

I'm going to have around $4000 soon.

Don't want to spend all that just on a laptop though.
(06-26-2014, 08:59 PM)talkingdolphin Wrote: [ -> ]So I'm making sure I'll make the right purchase first.

I aim to have the cheapest possible laptop that can run all Dolphin games at full speed and also run recent games at good FPS (min 30). Don't really care if it runs at 800 x 600.

You get what you pay for. A nicer laptop now could last you a long, long , looooonnnggggg time. other wise if you have budget of 400 USD or under you'd be lucky to run anything more than GC games because yu need a dedicated video card and a GOOD laptop with GOOD AND UPGRADABLE video card is gonna run you at least $600 for used one that is good but, a few years old to over 1K fora new one but, they can last you a long time as long as you take care of them.

A high end laptop wouldn't be able to run all games at full speed but, could come close. Laptop hard ware.. the high end gaming stuff is getting better and better these days sometime even COMPARABLE to desktop counterparts. key word comparable not "as fast as"

If you want REALLY good buying advise i HIGHLY recommend you go the NoteBookReview Forums, they are probably THE most knowledgeable people on laptops.

Also for 2k+ make sure to ask for an "MXM" based laptop. MXM just means the video card be taken out and replaced and or upgraded. most of the time it's an un replaceable permanent part then after a few years if it's too slow for game it can't be upgraded... this is not the case with MXM. MXM is not a brand it's something called a "standard" like USB or Sata or PCIe.
Here : http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8278s-cle...-6985.html
i7 4810MQ can be "overclocked" via Extreme Tuning Utility (3800+400MHz )
When you customize your laptop , just select the "COPPER COOLING UPGRADE" option (+79$) to make sure your laptop doesn't run too hot when gaming (less heat = longer lifespan) and then select "8GB DDR3 1333MHz [2x4GB] Dual Channel Memory" option
Also , follow the laptop performance guide
Just in case you hadn't realised, a $1000 desktop will be more than enough for every game currently playable in Dolphin, so you have the option of buying a desktop for emulation/gaming, as well as a laptop for portability (eg if you only need a laptop to do work/school/college and won't game much on it). This'll be cheaper if you don't absolutely need it to be a laptop. You'd probably want to be plugged in anyway for Dolphin, so it's not a huge loss in portability.
(06-27-2014, 05:47 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]Just in case you hadn't realised, a $1000 desktop will be more than enough for every game currently playable in Dolphin, so you have the option of buying a desktop for emulation/gaming, as well as a laptop for portability (eg if you only need a laptop to do work/school/college and won't game much on it). This'll be cheaper if you don't absolutely need it to be a laptop. You'd probably want to be plugged in anyway for Dolphin, so it's not a huge loss in portability.

Yeah, I know a desktop is better but my work basically requires me to move every few years.

So I figured I should get a laptop instead that could easily fit into my backpack.

Quote:Here : http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8278s-cle...-6985.html
i7 4810MQ can be "overclocked" via Extreme Tuning Utility (3800+400MHz )
When you customize your laptop , just select the "COPPER COOLING UPGRADE" option (+79$) to make sure your laptop doesn't run too hot when gaming (less heat = longer lifespan) and then select "8GB DDR3 1333MHz [2x4GB] Dual Channel Memory" option
Also , follow the laptop performance guide

That looks nice but I don't think I can find it in my country.

I've this in mind instead.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks...fications/
Moving every few years isn't that big of a deal with a desktop that you build yourself, because you can make it light/portable if you want.
But if you just want portability in general, then a laptop will be good.

That will run Dolphin, but it won't run Dolphin in a good environment. The Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU both share the same heatsink, so when one gets too hot, both the CPU and GPU will throttle back and slow down. You will want to get the ASUS ROG, this guy: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks...OG_G750JX/ as the CPU and GPU are on different heatsinks and fans.
A multi-media notebook will burn itself when running Dolphin . "i7 4700HQ + GTX 750M" power consumption is too much for a single fansink to handle , not to mention OEM thermal compound really sucks
Where do you live btw ?
(06-27-2014, 07:20 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Moving every few years isn't that big of a deal with a desktop that you build yourself, because you can make it light/portable if you want.
But if you just want portability in general, then a laptop will be good.

That will run Dolphin, but it won't run Dolphin in a good environment. The Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU both share the same heatsink, so when one gets too hot, both the CPU and GPU will throttle back and slow down. You will want to get the ASUS ROG, this guy: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks...OG_G750JX/ as the CPU and GPU are on different heatsinks and fans.

Well, I could buy that one here.

But the price thought... Ouch.

(06-27-2014, 08:40 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]A multi-media notebook will burn itself when running Dolphin . "i7 4700HQ + GTX 750M" power consumption is too much for a single fansink to handle , not to mention OEM thermal compound really sucks
Where do you live btw ?

Indonesia.
Pages: 1 2