Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Would it be possible to hack a specific game to run at 30 fps instead of 60?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
To get full speed on consoles you need the FPS the game was designed to run at. Because of this, 30 fps games are easier to run on emulators.
So my question is, would it be possible to specificly hack a 60 fps WII game to run at 30 fps? If it is, how hard would it be?(I imagine it being really very difficult if it is)
Sure, it's possible. Good luck though. Not sure why you would want to lower the fps though, that makes no sense.
(06-26-2014, 09:01 PM)RachelB Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, it's possible. Good luck though. Not sure why you would want to lower the fps though, that makes no sense.

no, I'm not saying I'd do it(I know absolutely NOTHING about this sort of stuff). I'm just wondering if it's possible.
On a PC Game, If I can't run a game at 60 fps, I can atleast play it at 30 fps. It just skips the frames so it looks more choppy and has more input lag, but I can still play it.
With most consoles and emulators, the game slows down by half when you have 30 fps. If you were able to hack the game to make it a 30 fps game, you'' be able to play
at actual fullspeed at 30 fps, for if your pc is too weak for 60. How does that make no sense?
Because emulators don't work that way. Rendering frames is only one small part of what's being done. Here's a real life test i did a few days ago of 25 vs 30 fps: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...M4Kfadpw9g

If you hacked a game to run at half the fps, dolphin would then run at ~45-48% less fps. Sure, you'd get a tiny benefit, but not even close enough to be worth dropping to a shit frame rate, let alone the work to create such a hack in the first place.
Oh, actually we talk about the exact opposite in this thread.
JayGee mentions a cool tool to use with the N64 emulator "1964". It can overclock/underclock the virtual hardware being emulated, which is really fun to play with.
Theoretically, underclocking the hardware will get you better emulator performance, but the actual game performance might chug quite a bit. For example, Perfect Dark is nearly unplayable underclocked, haha.

He also talks about a tool that can be used with Dolphin that does a similar thing. I suggest you check it out :)
(06-27-2014, 07:28 AM)Quicklime_Mistress Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, actually we talk about the exact opposite in this thread.
Idk where you see that.
(06-27-2014, 09:36 AM)RachelB Wrote: [ -> ]Idk where you see that.

I mean we talked about the exact opposite of what we're discussing here. >.>
It was a thread about how to increase the framerate by overclocking the virtual system. JayGee linked this stuff for 1964.
You can use the same tool to do the exact opposite, as in not overclock, as in underclock.
So what I'm saying is there is a possibility the "V-Beam" tool JayGee ended up using, might have the same functionality. But I haven't tried it myself. dylstew, you should see if that will work for you :)
I wonder if that would work. The games would probably still run at half speed regardless, but it can be tried.
I'm also not sure what you mean by not worth it dropping to a shit framerate. some versions of games I've played on dolphin run at 30 fps from the start, and It's playable(just not optimal). But my PC Can't handle most games at 60, so I'd love to be able to play at 30 but that's not how consoles and emulators work, so I just asked if it's somehow possible.
(06-27-2014, 06:47 PM)dylstew Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if that would work. The games would probably still run at half speed regardless, but it can be tried.
I'm also not sure what you mean by not worth it dropping to a shit framerate. some versions of games I've played on dolphin run at 30 fps from the start, and It's playable(just not optimal). But my PC Can't handle most games at 60, so I'd love to be able to play at 30 but that's not how consoles and emulators work, so I just asked if it's somehow possible.

30 fps is pretty terrible. We aren't talking about pc games. Other than perhaps a few exceptions, you won't see any significant difference in performance by changing the fps to anything.
RachelB: There are a few games that you could modify Dolphin for that work with a 30 vps hack. Melee, Brawl, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess all get speed benefits from the hack, even though the Zelda games were already 30 fps. That actually does give a fairly big increase to FPS, or at least it used to. Nowadays with the GPU thread limitedness of Dolphin, it'd probably be less than 5 - 10% in dualcore mode.
Pages: 1 2