Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is Dolphin MUCH more demanding than PCSX2 AND can my PC run Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

TheVagrantTKM

Hello All!

First and foremost thanks to the developers for making such a great application.

I have an Asus Republic of Gamers laptop, (a G73JW), that has been knocking PS2 emulation out of the park for some time now. I recently installed Dolphin, but for some reason my frame rates are pretty poor and my audio is a crackly mess.

I was wondering if someone could peek at my specs and let me know if my laptop is capable of running Dolphin (to a degree that is playable). Specifically, I'm dying to replay the Resident Evil (1) remake for GameCube.

Asus Republic of Gamers G73JW

CPU: Intel Core i7-740QM @ 1.734 GHz (4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors)
Video: NVidia GeForce GTX 460M; VRAM = 1.5GB
RAM: 8 GB, unsure as to what brand

Running Dolphin 4.0.2

Additionally, if anyone with experience using similar hardware could give me any advice as to which options, tweaks, hacks, etc. to fiddle with, I'd be very appreciative!

Thanks in advance,

-T
The thing is, the Resident Evil games are fairly demanding on Dolphin the way they are made.

PCSX2 is a bit less intensive, but it has games as demanding and more demanding than Resident Evil on Dolphin.
It it . Dolphin is a dual core application , it requires a very high clock-speed CPU that performs well in Dolphin Benchmark
To run 99.9% games full speed , you will need sth like i7 4790k @ 5.0->5.5GHz
To run most games full speed , you will need sth like i3 4130 @ 3.4GHz
With that said , your laptop has no chance to play most games at playable speed . Maybe some light-weight games like RE1 , NSMB could be playable though
Make sure you read the laptop performance guide
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#my-lap...-it-should