Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Optimal for GC games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Toxic4D

I have just downloaded Dolphin (haven't run it yet), and I wanted to know what the average speed would be on my system.

A. System Specs
--------------------------
HP Compaq Pro 6305
AMD APU A4-5300
Unknown Brand (Haven't opened PC casing), 4GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7480D 512MB
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

B. Dolphin Build
-------------------------
Dolphin 4.0-1941
Downloaded from http://www.dolphin-emu.org/
Default settings (Haven't opened the emulator yet.)

C. Extra Preferences
----------------------
I do not care about the overall graphical detail, as long as I can get a somewhat playable FPS.
I prefer to play with my XInput Afterglow XBOX360 Controller

I hope this is enough info!
~Toxic4D
Unbearably slow....You CPU is low end and outdated . What can you expect ?

Toxic4D

(06-24-2014, 08:23 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Unbearably slow....You CPU is low end and outdated . What can you expect ?

What do you mean? It's a dual-core 3.40GHz processor from 2012. How is that considered "outdated" only 2 years later?

Not to mention, CPUBoss rates my CPU higher than your Intel i5, so how could it be bad? http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-48...MD-A4-5300
Your low IPC AMD processor from 2012 vs a three generations old i5 laptop model that is several years older.

Toxic4D

(06-24-2014, 08:35 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Your low IPC AMD processor from 2012 vs a three generations old i5 laptop model that is several years older.

So, what does that mean? Can I run Dolphin well or not? I don't care about graphics, just gameplay.
Dolphin relies absolutely on High clock and IPC. Your processor as average clockrate, but fairly low IPC. Assuming the laptop i5 he's using is alike my old i5 desktop chip, you should be able to run quite a few games just fine. But I can't guarantee the IPC on his laptop chip is as good as the desktop processor I used to have. So, I think you should just try some games out and see how they run. Dolphin is getting more and more efficient nowadays anyway.

Toxic4D

(06-24-2014, 08:38 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin relies absolutely on High clock and IPC. Your processor as average clockrate, but fairly low IPC. Assuming the laptop i5 he's using is alike my old i5 desktop chip, you should be able to run quite a few games just fine. But I can't guarantee the IPC on his laptop chip is as good as the desktop processor I used to have. So, I think you should just try some games out and see how they run. Dolphin is getting more and more efficient nowadays anyway.

Alright, thank you!
It's i5 but it's just a dual core CPU from Q1 2011
My i5 is below the system requirement for Dolphin atm (basically trash) . I have stopped using Dolphin until I could find a replacement laptop (with better CPU of course)
If you want most games to run well , you need a CPU that can be equivalent to i3 4130 in Dolphin Benchmark