Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: CPU Usage Compared to FPS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Everyone,

I have an i7 2710QM running dolphin 4. Most games play alright, but on the occasion menu or exciting part of gameplay it will slow down to about 30 FPS. Even then, my CPU is only at about 40%. Is it not using all of my CPUs Power or is this normal? Is it throttling?

Thanks in advance
With dual core enabled Dolphin uses 2 CPU cores, which usually makes it hit 50% on a quad core system. However, in many games the amount of work each core must do is unbalanced, so one core could run full (25%) while the other only uses 15%. However from what I've seen, most game will reach 50% if they are running below their restricted speed, so it's not easy to say if your CPU is somehow restricted (for example power saving settings on laptops).
(06-21-2014, 02:23 AM)KHRZ Wrote: [ -> ]With dual core enabled Dolphin uses 2 CPU cores, which usually makes it hit 50% on a quad core system. However, in many games the amount of work each core must do is unbalanced, so one core could run full (25%) while the other only uses 15%. However from what I've seen, most game will reach 50% if they are running below their restricted speed, so it's not easy to say if your CPU is somehow restricted (for example power saving settings on laptops).

What tests could I perform to check ?
Note that on some games (PAL version of LuigiĀ“s Mansion and others) the in-game cinematics have a max FPS of 30; same during gameplay.