Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Any way to get this to run Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

eliplan312

I've got two computers: a desktop with a FX-8320 (3.5ghz) and a HD6870, and a laptop with a i7-4702HQ and an Intel 4500/Nvidia 765M.

Obviously, the latter (the laptop) runs all of the Gamecube games I've thrown at it reasonably well. However, the desktop struggles to play even Pokemon Colosseum at above 10fps when in towns.

Pokemon XD can't even make it to the main screen without massive stuttering. Conversely, the laptop, even on the Intel integrated graphics, has 60fps at this point, at 2.5x resolution with 4xAA/etc. The AMD system can't even handle it at minimum settings.

I've tried every combination of settings I've seen. Is AMD just this bad? Is it impossible to get Dolphin to run well on a system with an AMD processor?
AMD and their current products are very behind when it comes to single-threaded IPC, which Dolphin relies on greatly for performance. The only way you can boost your performance up to acceptable levels would be overclocking. Though, even with OCing, it still won't be able to match the performance of your laptop (yes, FX CPUs are that behind Intel's CPUs).

If you want to get that kinda performance in a desktop, you'd do well to invest in a Haswell CPU.

eliplan312

(06-20-2014, 01:18 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]AMD and their current products are very behind when it comes to single-threaded IPC, which Dolphin relies on greatly for performance. The only way you can boost your performance up to acceptable levels would be overclocking. Though, even with OCing, it still won't be able to match the performance of your laptop (yes, FX CPUs are that behind Intel's CPUs).

If you want to get that kinda performance in a desktop, you'd do well to invest in a Haswell CPU.

Wow, okay. Thanks haha
Looks like I'll be using my laptop then.