Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Black Screen, sound only
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

Just recently download the dolphin browser and I'm having trouble playing any games. They show up fine in the emulator, but then I click them only a black screen appears. I can hear the sound of the games, just can't see anything. I can't imagine it's my hardware, as I should be plenty powerful to run this (I think?)

I've also made sure all my video drivers were up to date, including direct x and microsoft c++.

Any idea's on how to fix this?

Thanks guys
Verify that your games were dumped correctly. Use the latear Dolphin development builds (something like 4.0-18xx NOT 4.0.2). Right-click the ganes in Dolphin and go to Properties. One of the info tabs will calculate the MD5 hash of a game. For every game you have an issue with, post the hash here for us to see.
(06-18-2014, 10:08 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Verify that your games were dumped correctly. Use the latear Dolphin development builds (something like 4.0-18xx NOT 4.0.2). Right-click the ganes in Dolphin and go to Properties. One of the info tabs will calculate the MD5 hash of a game. For every game you have an issue with, post the hash here for us to see.

Game 1 MD5:
fe94aefb4c58e8e678ed4daa7d64a8f1

Gam 2 MD5:
3a62f8d10fd210d4928ad37e3816e33c
Um, those games have names you know. Next time tell us which games they are. Why? The first game you gave us doesn't have a hash that matches anything on Redump.org, so we can't tell if you have a rare, undocumented game, or if your dump is simply bad (in my honest opinion, you most likely have a bad dump).

Anyway, the second hash is fine (as long as it really is an NTSC-U Super Smash Bros. Melee disc). The first one is bad, so redump that game from the original disc again.

Can you post your Dolphin settings as screenshots? It could be something with them.
(06-19-2014, 10:10 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Um, those games have names you know. Next time tell us which games they are. Why? The first game you gave us doesn't have a hash that matches anything on Redump.org, so we can't tell if you have a rare, undocumented game, or if your dump is simply bad (in my honest opinion, you most likely have a bad dump).

Anyway, the second hash is fine (as long as it really is an NTSC-U Super Smash Bros. Melee disc). The first one is bad, so redump that game from the original disc again.

Can you post your Dolphin settings as screenshots? It could be something with them.

My bad, I'm new to this, didn't realize the names were necessary.

The first game is Dokapon Kingdom.

However, the second game is in fact Super Smash Bros, and it most certainly does not work.

Do you mean my dolphin graphic settings? I've attached what I think you're asking for, but I'm wrong just let me know!

Thanks for all the help so far!
Have you tried using D3D instead of OpenGL?
(06-19-2014, 11:22 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried using D3D instead of OpenGL?

Holy crap! That did it! Thanks so much!!

ThomasLinkin

(06-19-2014, 10:10 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Um, those games have names you know. Next time tell us which games they are. Why? The first game you gave us doesn't have a hash that matches anything on Redump.org, so we can't tell if you have a rare, undocumented game, or if your dump is simply bad (in my honest opinion, you most likely have a bad dump).

I'm totally lost as to why I can't get the results he got by looking through properties. For me it was just the game I was trying to play and it was SSX 3. I played smash Brothers Melee and it worked. I'm going to try  a different SSX 3 to see if it was just the one I was trying at first.
This thread is over 4 years old. That's quite a bump. We have rules against necroposting like that, but I'll let it slide for now.

Anyway, are you confused about why your MD5 hashes are different from the ones posted above? MD5 hashes should be unique for every GC game. If you calculate the hash of SSX 3, it should be different from Wind Waker, or Twilight Princess, or Melee or anything. Even different regions. Even changing a single byte in a game should give you a new MD5 hash. So it's not unexpected that your hashes don't match those posted above, because different games are being hashed.

At any rate, the hash is supposed to be a tool to help you see of a game was dumped correctly. That is, to help tell you if the file on your PC is a 1:1 copy of the disc, no errors, no problems. A 1:1 copy will have exactly one and only one true MD5 hash. Lots of people dump copies of their games and generate hashes for databases. To tell if your game file is a 1:1 copy, grab your MD5 hash from Dolphin, then look up the MD5 hash of your game on a website like Redump.org. If you hash and Redump's hash match, your game file is okay, and not the source of your problems in Dolphin. If they don't match, this is a problem, and you'll need to Redump's your disc.
i'm having a similar issue but it shows up in the Android Version of the emulator, and no i dunno how to figure out the MD5 Hash if that is what youre thinking because the andoid version has limits.