Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Hardware Should Work Better
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Everyone,

I have a Malibal gaming laptop with an I7 clocked at a base of 2.4 GHZ and a NVIDIA GTX 580m.

It runs games like Mortal Kombat , Need For Speed, Portal 2 (all for pc) on high with no slowdowns.

But yet I try to play super smash bros brawl with no visual enhancements and I get slowdowns intermittently though the game.

Can anyone help ?thanks in advance.
Which i7?
(06-18-2014, 04:23 AM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]Which i7?

I7-2720QM
You can try disable dedicated card in Dolphin->graphics->graphics adapter and use Intel HD 3000 graphics. Most multimedia laptops share cpu heatsink with gpu and that can cause overheat/throttle which will slow down game.
(06-18-2014, 04:41 AM)yl-smash Wrote: [ -> ]You can try disable dedicated card in Dolphin->graphics->graphics adapter and use Intel HD 3000 graphics. Most multimedia laptops share cpu heatsink with gpu and that can cause overheat/throttle which will slow down game.

Would the Intel Graphics be able to handle it ? I don't experience this throttle on non dolphin games.
Try disabling HyperThreading in your bios settings.
(06-18-2014, 05:33 AM)tecfreak Wrote: [ -> ]Try disabling HyperThreading in your bios settings.

Alright, will do. What will that fix?
That will turn off HyperThreading.

HyperThreading sacrifices some performance per-core to give you double the logical cores, so turning it off will allow that sacrificed performance to be brought back from the dead.
Also, just to point out that you can't compare emulation with regular pc games. This is because what emulation does is it tries to be as similar as possible to a console, which is completely dedicated for games and uses its own language to play these games. Because of this, this language has to be transferred and read into something that a regular pc CPU can read and thus puts a lot more stress on it, unlike pc specific games where CPU doesn't really matter and mostly run with your GPU's specs.

TL;DR: pc emulation is much more stressful on hatdware than regular pc gaming
So I've checked and the CPU has a separate heatsink than the GPU. Also my laptop doesnt have an option to disable hypertheading. Any other options?