Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Keep Dolphin Portable?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well when I unpack dolphin to my emulators folder and run it it asks me if I want to keep Dolphin portable, and I usually say yes, but now I heard that keeping softwares portable can affect their performance, does it make any difference? If yes, what do you guys usually do, is there any installer or just say no and place it on program files, what should make it more stable/fast?
No it doesnt make any difference. bins are usually faster than installed software, no need to mess with registry etc.
ive always said yes to keeping dolphin portable. the only way i could see it being more stable is because installing would register system keys and whatnot, and windows would handle things better. test it and see what happens, i prefer to keep it portable because i keep dolphin on a flash drive, i have 3 computers i test on Tongue
Yeah, just wanted to confirm, thanks for the awnsers.
all good answers Smile
Difference between the two:
Portable - Must be run from the directory it is saved in
Install - No registry keys, just a txt file in %appdata% with the install location, so dolphin can be run from any directory (file association anyone Tongue)
good to know Big Grin