Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Another is my system powerful enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(06-16-2014, 05:11 AM)Dinujan Wrote: [ -> ]That's why I'm getting the 9 series. I"m going to be installing a Cruical M550 M.2 SSD. I'm just not 100% sure it will work (Physically it should fit). There seems to be alot of different nomenclature for this slot, so I'm a little confused. The SSD is Sata and has both 'M' and 'B' notches, and the motherboard is a type 3 M.2, based on PCIe x2. But I've got no idea on whether it will fit or not
Why M.2? Sata 6G isn't slower and you would save some money on the motherboard if you pick a cheap B85 f.e.

(06-16-2014, 05:11 AM)Dinujan Wrote: [ -> ]Power Supply: I am planning on using a 160W Power Supply. If I go i3, I'm looking at 71+50W vs (60-100) + 50W on the G3258.
So either system is okay.
Don't forget the small casing and it's poor airflow. In case of the overclocked pentium you do not want the extra heat in ur case.

(06-16-2014, 05:11 AM)Dinujan Wrote: [ -> ]In the video, the Pentium was massacred by the i3 in compression tests, and barely kept up with the i3 in most tests. But I'm guessing for emulation, the Pentium would turn the tables? Since we're comparing ~4.6GHz to 3.5GHz
I wouldn't bet on that.

(06-16-2014, 05:11 AM)Dinujan Wrote: [ -> ]I've also changed the OS to Windows 8, I completely forgot that Ubuntu doesn't have support for Wireless AC.
That's not true. Intel dual band ac adapters f.e. are supported by ubuntu/linux.

(06-16-2014, 05:11 AM)Dinujan Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a picture of the Power Supply, in-case anyone was wondering
I just need to supply it with 12V/14A DC, and it will run fine.
An external power supply is a good idea.
(06-16-2014, 06:10 AM)tecfreak Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-16-2014, 05:11 AM)Dinujan Wrote: [ -> ]That's why I'm getting the 9 series. I"m going to be installing a Cruical M550 M.2 SSD. I'm just not 100% sure it will work (Physically it should fit). There seems to be alot of different nomenclature for this slot, so I'm a little confused. The SSD is Sata and has both 'M' and 'B' notches, and the motherboard is a type 3 M.2, based on PCIe x2. But I've got no idea on whether it will fit or not
Why M.2? Sata 6G isn't slower and you would save some money on the motherboard if you pick a cheap B85 f.e.
The cheapest Mini-ITX LGA1150 board is the: GA-H87N @ http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX50880
^which is 20$ cheaper before the rebate, and 40$ after.
I'd also save money by re-using my old Crucial M4 SSD, ~160$ in savings, but I'm not sure how spacing would work out. I'm trying to make this as compact as possible, since I'm trying to fit this all into a NES,

(06-16-2014, 05:11 AM)Dinujan Wrote: [ -> ]Power Supply: I am planning on using a 160W Power Supply. If I go i3, I'm looking at 71+50W vs (60-100) + 50W on the G3258.
So either system is okay.
Don't forget the small casing and it's poor airflow. In case of the overclocked pentium you do not want the extra heat in ur case.
Yea, I'm was hoping I could overclock to ~4.0GHz, without increasing the voltage. My 3820 went to 4.3 with a undervolt, so I was hoping for a similar miracle.

(06-16-2014, 05:11 AM)Dinujan Wrote: [ -> ]In the video, the Pentium was massacred by the i3 in compression tests, and barely kept up with the i3 in most tests. But I'm guessing for emulation, the Pentium would turn the tables? Since we're comparing ~4.6GHz to 3.5GHz
I wouldn't bet on that.
Isn't that why the admin said to get the Pentium? Or maybe I should get wait for Broadwell, which is supposed to use a 14mm die. But school will start by then....and my midterms will probably be around Christmas. I would also have to get a 9 series Motherboard to support Broadwell.

(06-16-2014, 05:11 AM)Dinujan Wrote: [ -> ]I've also changed the OS to Windows 8, I completely forgot that Ubuntu doesn't have support for Wireless AC.
That's not true. Intel dual band ac adapters f.e. are supported by ubuntu/linux.
I'll try, but I remember when I first tried to setup my pfsense machine, I couldn't get drivers for the AC66U PCE, and some of the threads I visited said Ubuntu doesn't even have proper wireless N drivers yet. Which at the time, made sense, because I had to force my router to only use wireless G if I wanted my laptop to connect. Maybe things have changed? I'll give it a try before using Windows.

(06-16-2014, 05:11 AM)Dinujan Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a picture of the Power Supply, in-case anyone was wondering
I just need to supply it with 12V/14A DC, and it will run fine.
An external power supply is a good idea.

Yea, I just chose the Pico PSU because of how neat it was.
I might get this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6817151090

and use a Female to Male ATX to get the same effect. But I just don't know what to do with the extra wires. All I need is a single ATX and 4 PIN, and maybe a molex/SATA.
pfsense is BSD and not Linux.

OK, 2.5" sata could be a problem for the small NES case. But I would first take some measures before buying some expensive hardware. Maybe there is enough space for the ssd beneath the mainboard.

But how do you want to fit a GTX 750 in there? Even if it is a low profile (KFA) pcb, I can't imagin how you want to do this. (flex)-riser card?
I'm really curious and hope you provide some photos.
If you get them running at the same frequency, the i3 and Pentium should perform almost equally in Dolphin. The Pentium will go higher though, and will thusly outperform the i3. You'll also get more control over undervolting with the pentium, so even if you don't get an impressive overclock, you'll be able to make it run cooler.
Keep in mind that i3 has Hyper-threading (HT) feature which Pentium doesn't have . Dolphin is a dual core application and HT only slow your CPU down in emulation , Unlocked Pentium will kill it for sure
(06-16-2014, 07:06 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]If you get them running at the same frequency, the i3 and Pentium should perform almost equally in Dolphin. The Pentium will go higher though, and will thusly outperform the i3. You'll also get more control over undervolting with the pentium, so even if you don't get an impressive overclock, you'll be able to make it run cooler.

(06-16-2014, 08:12 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Keep in mind that i3 has Hyper-threading (HT) feature which Pentium doesn't have . Dolphin is a dual core application and HT only slow your CPU down in emulation , Unlocked Pentium will kill it for sure

Okay, I guess I"ll get my preorder of the Pentium now. Currently $82.43, I wish I got it during TigerDirect's sale.

I'm wondering though, if I really need a Z97. I'm looking over the ASUS H97i-PLUS manual, and there it includes Ai tweaker.

[Image: Capture.jpg]

LOCKED processors don't even have the option to underclock, or so I've been told. So maybe ASUS has the same bios patch that allows overclocking on the H97

Decided not to get the SeaSonic SS-300TFX Bronze 300W http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6817151090. Double the wattage, half the price, and a known brand, when compared to the Pico Supply. But those wires are hideous. If only ATX wasn't just a pain to sleeve. Any have any creative ways to hide the extra cables?
You should get a Z97 mobo . Asus had introduced H87 mobo that support OC before Intel locked it down for good
Even if it supported OC , H97 would never be able to oc as much as Z97 do
If SFX form factor PSU isn't a problem for you then you may get this modular one
Will it run butter smooth on my system? I am planing on ordering a wii-mote and the sensor bar.

Operating System: Windows
Processor/CPU: Intel i7-3770k @ 3.50GHZ
Video Card/GPU: GeForce GTX 580
Memory/RAM: 8
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 4.0-1871 - x64
(06-16-2014, 03:30 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]You should get a Z97 mobo . Asus had introduced H87 mobo that support OC before Intel locked it down for good
If SFX form factor PSU isn't a problem for you then you may get this modular one

That doesn't make sense. H97 would OC just as well due to the vrms being integrated and a low phase vrm limiting the oc.
(06-16-2014, 11:00 PM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-16-2014, 03:30 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]You should get a Z97 mobo . Asus had introduced H87 mobo that support OC before Intel locked it down for good

That doesn't make sense. H97 would OC just as well due to the vrms being integrated and a low phase vrm limiting the oc.

I decided to get the ASRock Z97i. Probably have no benefit at all, other than peace of mind from knowing it can overclock. Right now it is 189.99 with a 30$ rebate, and I can pick it up at the warehouse, vs the ASUS H97i which costs 112+24 (f/s) Unless, someone posts a review on the H97i demonstrating its ability to overclock.

CPU: I"m gonna using my spare 4670k for now, and PSU I'll be using a spare ThermalTake 500W. I'll make the machine module though, so the PSU can be hot swapped out later.

I sorta realized I had no money for his build, so I"m going to make it as affordable as possible, and then upgrade in the future.

With that being said, I have alot of spare parts, so this will still be a powerful build. Just a 2013 build instead of a 2014 one.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6