Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Looking to get into Dolphin emulation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Agnipath

Hi Dolphin Forums,

I recently registered due to the recent Wii U hype. I thought that before I get a Wii U down the road I could replay my old Wii games on my laptop, specifically Skyward Sword. Will my setup be up to the task?

Specs:

Processor - i7-3517U @ 1.90 GHz (quad core)

RAM - 8 GB

OS - Win 8.1 Update 1 x64

GPU - Nvidia GeForce GT 620M

Display - HDMI Monitor 1920x1200

Thanks for the help.
Your laptop, unfortunately, won't be up to the task of playing Skyward Sword. The i7-3517U is an Ultra Low Voltage CPU; it is designed specifically to operate using less power than non ULV CPUs, and as such it is also designed to generate less heat. More often than not, your CPU will throttle down (you most likely won't hit 3.0 GHz while playing Dolphin) since it will attempt to reduce heat first and foremost. So your CPU is not very well suited for Dolphin. While Skyward Sword is out of the question (unless you can play it in slo-mo), there may be a few other games that you're capable of running decently; what else do you plan on playing?
And it's not a quad core CPU ,it's dual core with Hyper-threading (2 cores 4 threads)
Hyper-threading is useless for Dolphin since Dolphin is a dual core application
ULV CPUs are much slower than a normal CPU . In fact , your i5 performance can't even catch up with a standard i3 performance
Only i7 4700MQ or better CPU can do well in Dolphin atm ( or i5-4200M for acceptable performance)

Agnipath

Thank you for the replies guys. Now I understand the limits of my machine. Do you think Wind Waker will run well?
Will be playable, but won´t cut it.
(06-14-2014, 02:59 AM)Agnipath Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the replies guys. Now I understand the limits of my machine. Do you think Wind Waker will run well?
Wind waker will run for sure on the right version of dolphin.