Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Super Mario Galaxy 2 - HD Texture Pack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I apologize in advance for my choice to post this topic here, but it was the only place where I didn't get a message that I wasn't permitted to post in this section.

My Questions are the following:
1) Does anybody currently have a working HD texture pack for the NTSC version of SMG2?
If so, could you send me a link or something where I can download it?
2) If not, which software should I use to make one on my own?
3) Where can I find a tuturial (text preferred) how to most efficiently create high resolution images for use as a texture pack?
4) Which resolution should the texture pack created in if I want the highest resolution that doesn't slow down emulation?

For testing purposes, I have already made an HD image that works fine with SMG2, although I may have to make the file a bit smaller.

Thanks in advance,
marfuc
1. I'm not aware of a Super Mario Galaxy 2 HD texture project. We don't have one hosted here on in the HD Textures forum anyway.
2. Whatever you're comfortable with.
3. There are some good tutorials on N64Redux. Google for 'generic' (HD) texturing and you should find more tutorials.
4. That depends on the textures. For the best compatibility between all back-ends and for the DDS format, you'll want to scale your textures in a multiple of 4. So if the original texture is 256x256, then you can create your better texture in 512x512 for example. You can however use 'weird' sizes with PNGs such as 1012x841, but be warned that it will cause some slowdown and incompatibility.
Last but not least, don't go way too overboard. You don't need 4k textures for every little thing.
Thanks for the answer, that's very helpful Big Grin
I just noticed that you mentioned that I can use any application to create custom textures.
I just wondered: Don't they lose sharpness if I just make the .png files bigger?

I thought I'd have to convert them to a vector graphic format like .svg and then convert them back to .png again.
At least that's what I did with the file I used for testing if I did everything right.