Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Am I doing something wrong, or is it simply my computer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Mirgil

Hey all, and I just wanna say thanks before I get into my question cause I wish I could have solved this on my own. However after messing with 5 or 6 games to try get the best configurations and then not really knowing if I a.) Did it correctly and B.) Failing to reach 60fps (or even 40+ in some cases) I'd rather just figure out if my computer is really built to even kind of run some of these games. Once again, thanks a ton and bonus points to anyone who can tell me what I should upgrade next specs wise.

Alright so first off, specs:
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit
Processor: AMD FX™-4130 Quad-Core Processor
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6670
Total RAM: 8.0 GB
Dolphin: 4.0.2

Most of the games I've tried I get good enough FPS to play, but a lot of times I have issues running certain sections or even the entire game. A quick list of the games I've COMPLETELY LEGALLY OBTAINED and really hope to play are:
-Custom Robo
-Fire Emblem: PoR
-Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
-Metroid Prime: 1 & 2
-Pikmin 2
-Resident Evil 4
-Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
-Legend of Zelda: Ocarina, Majora's, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess

I have others, but they are not important really. These are the main games I hope to play, and a few I've already tried to mess around with. The main reason I came here to ask is because even in a game like MegaManX, I'd drop down to 30fps when Chameleon used his stealth. I simply brushed that off as a problem with the emulator, but Sonic Adventure 2: Battle doesn't run 60fps and I really expected it to. Metroid Prime was completely unrunable, Wind Waker runs good enough to play but rarely 30fps (It's locked to that for those who don't know), ect. ect. So I want to know, Is there something I can do to run these games perfect 60fps? Or is my computer just not strong enough? Thanks a ton, and sorry if I misread the rules or missed some information.
Metroid Prime is sort of demanding, but not as Zelda TP on Hyrule field. Dang, the i5-4670K (even overclocked) barely gets lucky with TP...

Yes, it´s your CPU what its killing you. Anyway, try with the most recent dev build as they have fixes on HLE (which may bring small speed ups for Zelda TP).

You shouldn´t have problems with Zelda WW.
(06-12-2014, 07:50 AM)Mirgil Wrote: [ -> ]A quick list of the games I've downloaded and really hope to play

Guess it's over for you...

From your profile:
Your CPU is weak for most games . You can overclock it to gain more speed however demanding games like Zelda TP , Metroid , RE4 ....are out of the question
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#which-...ould-i-use
AMD CPUs have low single threaded performance and Dolphin is a dual core application . That's why AMD CPUs don't perform well with Dolphin .
Bulldozer(Zambezi) is even worse than Phenom II clock for clock
Base on Dolphin Benchmark , i3 4130 3.4GHz is equivalent to i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz and outperform the AMD flagship CPU : FX 8350 @ 5.0GHz

Mirgil

(06-12-2014, 08:28 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-12-2014, 07:50 AM)Mirgil Wrote: [ -> ]A quick list of the games I've downloaded and really hope to play

From your profile:

Fixed, thanks.

(06-12-2014, 08:26 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Metroid Prime is sort of demanding, but not as Zelda TP on Hyrule field. Dang, the i5-4670K (even overclocked) barely gets lucky with TP...

Yes, it´s your CPU what its killing you. Anyway, try with the most recent dev build as they have fixes on HLE (which may bring small speed ups for Zelda TP).

You shouldn´t have problems with Zelda WW.

Okay, thanks a ton.

(06-12-2014, 08:29 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Your CPU is weak for most games . You can overclock it to gain more speed however demanding games like Zelda TP , Metroid , RE4 ....are out of the question
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#which-...ould-i-use
AMD CPUs have low single threaded performance and Dolphin is a dual core application . That's why AMD CPUs don't perform well with Dolphin .
Bulldozer(Zambezi) is even worse than Phenom II clock for clock
Base on Dolphin Benchmark , i3 4130 3.4GHz is equivalent to i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz and outperform the AMD flagship CPU : FX 8350 @ 5.0GHz

Is my CPU the reason I'm having issues with games like Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and occasionally in MegaManX and Wind Waker?
Q Wrote:Is my CPU the reason I'm having issues with games like Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and occasionally in MegaManX and Wind Waker?
A Wrote:Your CPU is weak for most games . You can overclock it to gain more speed
(06-12-2014, 08:32 AM)Mirgil Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-12-2014, 08:28 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]

From your profile:

Fixed, thanks.

Yeah, that's not how you "fix" this problem. Downloading games is against the rules. Editing your OP (after the fact) doesn't somehow retroactively invalidate that you've violated the rules. Dump games from your own disk; that's the way you're supposed to do it.

Closed.