Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Hard crashes on Mac Pro 2013
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

DrCreek

I've been playing a bit of Super Mario Sunshine on my Mac Pro 2013, 6 core, 12GB, Dual D700s.

I've been running it at 2x Res. No other changes from the defaults.

But randomly I get these complete system hangs. Sound continues and no kernel panic. Just system becomes totally unresponsive. I can't even SSH in and kill the process (my recovery method of choice) I have to hard reset.

Happens at different points in different games but SMS seems to be particularly tricky.

I'm wondering if because this is a new type of mac and a new hardware config for Apple that is might be related to the system?

Are any tweaks anybody could suggest to fix it.

Tried a few builds, old and new. Still happens.

I'm a video editor and I dabble with web code but I'm no developer.

Is there any way I can send you logs or help you guys out making Dolphin work better with this hardware? I'm happy to test and report back if it helps you guys out. You help me play my games for free so I'm more than happy to lend a hand if I can be useful.

(note It seems to happen a lot less if I lower it to 1x res, but my system should be able to out perform a Gamecube I reckon...?)
From my experience, there's a 95% chance that you're overheating. That's what it sounds like, at least. I don't know how a Mac reacts to overheating, so I could be totally wrong.

DrCreek

(06-08-2014, 10:42 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]From my experience, there's a 95% chance that you're overheating. That's what it sounds like, at least. I don't know how a Mac reacts to overheating, so I could be totally wrong.

Don't think so,

I'm in an Air conditioned room and this thing rarely hits over 65-70°C. I've run a BTC miner at full blast and it doesn't break a sweat. The GPUs can get a bit warm when I'm doing that but running Super Mario Sunshine and the CPU is a breezy 56°c.

The fans are barely turning.
If you can, try booting into another OS, then see if the issue still occurs. It could be OS X specific.

DrCreek

(06-08-2014, 11:58 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]If you can, try booting into another OS, then see if the issue still occurs. It could be OS X specific.

I've read there are problems with Windows 8.1 too? It's the only Windows that this model supports. But I'll install it and have a go. I'll report back if there is anything worth reporting.

But I was hoping there was something I could do to help fix it for OS X. Without just dumping logs in the forum anyway.

I'll keep testing it, if any of the devs would like some logs from my system. Let me know, DM or something, and I'll be happy to help out.
The majority of the W8.1 issues seem to stem from Intel graphics, so you should be fine