Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Compilation Help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm not sure if I should post this here in the forums, or on the project's google code issue page, but I decided on the forums. I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 and am trying to install dolphin. The builds uploaded on the website are for 13.04 (which I don't understand frankly) and don't install due to dependencies, and the project's "weekly" ppa is currently on a broken version and hasn't been updated in 10 days.

Thus, I'm trying to compile, but I'm getting make errors even after installing all the dependencies listed I've found on any official how-to pages. Cmake doesn't seem to be complaining about anything that I'm missing, so I'm not really sure what to do next.

Pastebin of the error log: http://pastebin.geany.org/Yjw5w/
Cmake log: http://pastebin.geany.org/1Gt4N/

It seems to be an issue with wxwidgets, but as I believe I have the most up-to-date version installed I'm not really sure what to do.

Thank you for the help, and I apologize if I posted this in the wrong spot. Just let me know and I'll delete and move it.
Not that I can help with your compilation issues, but I can explain the justification for no 14.04 support. Basically, uBuntu have only released 14.04 really recently, and when you download it, it says it is partially experimental, and may well be buggy, whereas 13.x is the release that they suggest using if you want a completely usable OS. Basically, that means that 14.04 users are a minority right now, and it crashes. I've got it on a netbook, and can confirm it crashes (although it usually just hangs for a minute and then comes up with a dialogue saying it recovered from a critical error, as opposed to just shutting down). This means that 13.x is the better version to support, as it's got a wider user base, and won't break Dolphin as much. Give it time for uBuntu themselves to recommend 14.04 as the safest, and I'm sure Dolphin will provide builds by then. If enough people want it, it may even be possible to have both, as the buildbot has more free time since 32-bit support has been dropped.
(06-08-2014, 08:58 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]Not that I can help with your compilation issues, but I can explain the justification for no 14.04 support. Basically, uBuntu have only released 14.04 really recently, and when you download it, it says it is partially experimental, and may well be buggy, whereas 13.x is the release that they suggest using if you want a completely usable OS. Basically, that means that 14.04 users are a minority right now, and it crashes. I've got it on a netbook, and can confirm it crashes (although it usually just hangs for a minute and then comes up with a dialogue saying it recovered from a critical error, as opposed to just shutting down). This means that 13.x is the better version to support, as it's got a wider user base, and won't break Dolphin as much. Give it time for uBuntu themselves to recommend 14.04 as the safest, and I'm sure Dolphin will provide builds by then. If enough people want it, it may even be possible to have both, as the buildbot has more free time since 32-bit support has been dropped.

I'm sorry but that's completely false. 14.04 is stable now, and it's absolutely the recommended version to install. It's even a Long Term Support release, whereas 13.04/10 are not. 13.04 support has ended at this point, and 13.10 will soon as well.
It wasn't a month or so ago, when I downloaded it. There was definitely a big warning message saying I should avoid leaving it in charge of anything important.
Looks like Dolphin's CMake is complaining about your installed WXWidgets. You have the appropiate -dev packages installed, yes?

One workaround is to force Dolphin to build WXWidgets statically before it compiles. You can either uninstall your current WXWidget packages or edit the CMakeLists.txt file to bypass checking for any shared WXWidget libraries. You shouldn't run into any trouble with a statically built WXWidgets.
(06-08-2014, 11:30 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]It wasn't a month or so ago, when I downloaded it. There was definitely a big warning message saying I should avoid leaving it in charge of anything important.

You were either installing an outdated version, or you did it prior to its release in April.

(06-08-2014, 11:53 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like Dolphin's CMake is complaining about your installed WXWidgets. You have the appropiate -dev packages installed, yes?

One workaround is to force Dolphin to build WXWidgets statically before it compiles. You can either uninstall your current WXWidget packages or edit the CMakeLists.txt file to bypass checking for any shared WXWidget libraries. You shouldn't run into any trouble with a statically built WXWidgets.

I thought I did have all the packages installed, according to this page https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/wiki/Linux_Build, but I should have just looked at the buildlog for the dolphin-emu-master package in the ppa. After installing every package installed in the buildlog ( https://launchpadlibrarian.net/176509201...ING.txt.gz ), I get much further, but it still fails to build.

Make error log: http://pastebin.geany.org/hDZrr/
Cmake log: http://pastebin.geany.org/RRwvO/

Is this still a problem with wxwidgets?

Thank you for the help.
Looks like the issue is with libpng now. CMake is complaining that it can't find a certain function from that library that's called at some point by Dolphin's code.

You're probably not using the latest version of libpng. Ubuntu 14.04 has 1.2.50 in its repos, but the function png_set_longjmp_fn() was introduced some time in 1.4.x. You'll have to find a way to update libpng.

EDIT: You can always compile from source (simple enough, usually ./configure && make, switch to root (or sudo as Ubuntu does it) and make install) - https://launchpad.net/libpng/main/1.5.14
(06-08-2014, 02:53 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like the issue is with libpng now. CMake is complaining that it can't find a certain function from that library that's called at some point by Dolphin's code.

You're probably not using the latest version of libpng. Ubuntu 14.04 has 1.2.50 in its repos, but the function png_set_longjmp_fn() was introduced some time in 1.4.x. You'll have to find a way to update libpng.

EDIT: You can always compile from source (simple enough, usually ./configure && make, switch to root (or sudo as Ubuntu does it) and make install) - https://launchpad.net/libpng/main/1.5.14

I actually have libpng15 installed already. How can I make dolphin realize it's there?
Do you have 1.2 on your system as well? From what I understand, you can have multiple versions of a library "installed" but the system only symlinks to one at a time (libpng.so or something should be a symlink). I'm not at my desktop (going to bed, typing on my iPod :p) but if you ls /usr/lib64/libpng* you'll see what you've got and I think you can use ln -s to show what file a symlink points to. Odds are Ubuntu points the symlink to 1.2 (which is the default in the repos, so it probably is on your system). You just need to change the symlink to point to 1.5.x
(06-08-2014, 04:23 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have 1.2 on your system as well? From what I understand, you can have multiple versions of a library "installed" but the system only symlinks to one at a time (libpng.so or something should be a symlink). I'm not at my desktop (going to bed, typing on my iPod :p) but if you ls /usr/lib64/libpng* you'll see what you've got and I think you can use ln -s to show what file a symlink points to. Odds are Ubuntu points the symlink to 1.2 (which is the default in the repos, so it probably is on your system). You just need to change the symlink to point to 1.5.x

/usr/local/lib/libpng.so is currently pointing to /usr/local/lib/libpng15.so.15.16.0 on my machine.
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng.so is pointing to /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng12.so.0.50.0, so I guess you're right.

Is there any way to simply tell dolphin the path I want it to use when configuring? I'm frankly a little afraid of breaking my computer if I change it. If not I can give it a shot and change it back afterward, I suppose.
Pages: 1 2