Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Graphics settings don't seem to be working?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

TalOrtRal

I must admit I'm a complete noob to Dolphin at the moment.

I'm running 4.0.2 in Windows 7 64-bit on an i7.

So far, no trouble getting games to run smoothly at default resolutions with only a few graphical glitches, which is really impressive. My only issue is that I'd like to mess around a bit with internal resolution and AA. My understanding is that you can mess with these settings and increase resolution and AA until you're getting FPS too low to be playable, then you can ratchet it back.

When I change resolution and AA in graphics settings, I see absolutely no change in the appearance of the game or in FPS performance, even if I turn both all the way up. This leads me to believe that I'm doing something wrong and somehow the graphics changes are not being applied. I restarted Dolphin and the settings are still showing how I set them, but still no result in-game.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Post your graphics settings as screenshots, and post a screenshot of a game so we can see what it looks like on your end.

Make sure you're not doing something silly too, like using a fullscreen resolution of 640x480 or something while playing in fullscreen mode.

TalOrtRal

Attached are my settings before (Settings 1 and 2) and after (Settings 3). I didn't attach the resulting screens because 700kb is over the attachment limit? What do you guys use to post screens?

After comparing the screens back to back, I can see a VERY slight different in clarity in Eternal Darkness, but I would think going from resolution x1 and no AA to resolution x4 with 16 AA, the difference would be bigger. Also, FPS never dips below 60, which seems strange for maxing out everything.
I bet you have RealXFB on in the hacks section; that would cause this.

TalOrtRal

(06-08-2014, 10:46 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]I bet you have RealXFB on in the hacks section; that would cause this.

I haven't messed with that setting, but if you mean External Frame Buffer under Hacks, that is set to Disable, which I assume was the default.
Dunno then; maybe the game forces RealXFB by default? But then opening the graphics tab would override it.
For reference, just use an image hosting site if you want to avoid any filesize limits. Would like to see screenshots of the issue in action. It could be you're playing a part that doesn't use polygons/geometry (think Resident Evil BGs or FMVs in any other game) but I've never played Eternal Darkness so I can't say without seeing it.

TalOrtRal

(06-08-2014, 11:42 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]For reference, just use an image hosting site if you want to avoid any filesize limits. Would like to see screenshots of the issue in action. It could be you're playing a part that doesn't use polygons/geometry (think Resident Evil BGs or FMVs in any other game) but I've never played Eternal Darkness so I can't say without seeing it.

Oh, OK, it sounds like this might just be massive misunderstanding on my end. I was under the impression that it would affect the resolution of the entire game, not just affect the heavy polygon sections. So I just used the opening title screen.

Before:
http://imgur.com/yzsmxkb

After:
http://imgur.com/OxYgZ68

Can anyone suggest a game I could test with that would show an immediate and obvious difference? At the moment I only have Eternal Darkness and Thousand Year Door, but could get anything for testing.
PM:TTYD should be fine, and so should Eternal Darkness. Just play any part that has 3D models. The titles screens are bad test zones, since most are just a bunch of 2D textures. Making textures look better actually involves replacing their graphics with images of higher quality (hence HD textures).