Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Issues with netplay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Bungle

So I've been trying to play smash bros via netplay and I've been having some problems.
I've now attempted to connect to around 10 hosts, but I've only been able to connect to 2 of them. I am certain it's to do with who I am trying to connect to, as I've played with one host successfully on numerous occasions. The host I was able to connect to has also played with people I can't connect to with no issues, so I'm fairly certain the problem is on my end. I'm baffled, please help! (I've tried both 4.0 - 648 and 652, it doesn't make a difference as to who I can and can't connect to)
It's an unofficial branch. What's likely happening is that the ports it hosts on are randomized, and your router is blocking some of the ports. You could manually DMZ yourself on your router, try opening up ports in the range (I don't remember what the range is at the moment) among other things.

Bungle

(06-05-2014, 04:36 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]It's an unofficial branch. What's likely happening is that the ports it hosts on are randomized, and your router is blocking some of the ports. You could manually DMZ yourself on your router, try opening up ports in the range (I don't remember what the range is at the moment) among other things.

Wow! Thank you for the quick response Big Grin Sounds promising, however I don't really know how to do what you've described... could you give me instructions or something? :') Sorry for being a noob
Well, you need to look up a port forwarding tutorial for your router. Then, in Dolphin's options/configuration page, set a port for Netplay Listen port. Then, go into your router and port forward for that port. That should fix things, or at least make it so you can always host.

DMZ just port forwards every port to your computer. Anyway, since each router is different, I can't exactly tell you what to do.

Bungle

(06-05-2014, 04:52 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, you need to look up a port forwarding tutorial for your router. Then, in Dolphin's options/configuration page, set a port for Netplay Listen port. Then, go into your router and port forward for that port. That should fix things, or at least make it so you can always host.

DMZ just port forwards every port to your computer. Anyway, since each router is different, I can't exactly tell you what to do.

Okay I'll try that out, thanks a lot!

'The public master branch of Dolphin doesn't support using more than one core when playing online, so the game will run extremely slowly. Use the latest dc-netplay build. It allows dual core emulation over netplay and removes the need to forward ports.'

^ could that pose a significant issue? I just want to make sure port forwarding is the right thing to do/only possible solution before committing to the process of actually doing it
Most Routers don't need to be port forwarded. The port breaking doesn't work on all routers though. That's why I'm recommending you to port forward.

Bungle

(06-05-2014, 05:21 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Most Routers don't need to be port forwarded. The port breaking doesn't work on all routers though. That's why I'm recommending you to port forward.

Okay so I've port forwarded, I used a port checker and both TCP and UDP are working with the port I forwarded. I've tried turning off windows firewalls and my ESET security (except for HIPS, not sure if that could effect it). Most people still can't connect to me and I can't connect to them. Who I can and can't play with seems entirely random.