Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Help! Okay so what are my options?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay so what are my options? Old build where the sound works but it crashes randomly and sometimes the sound crashes. (3.5)

Or the 4.02 build where everything seems to work fine except the sound lags, it used to stutter but I fixed this by changing the audio backend to openAL and uping the latency to 30. But the sound still lags and its annoying.

This is a great travesty because I just discovered today how beautiful these gamecube games can become with some anti-aliasing and high resolutions.

Dont really have a problem running the games, except Twilight Princess which had some low fps but that may have been from running some background processes. I could easily just pull out my Wii or Gamecube and play these games but after seeing how gorgeous they are in 1080p, i dont know if I can go back.

If only I could integrate my gamecube into my computer and use it to help run the games better.

https://i.imgur.com/C0MSdcS.png
Don't use 4.0.2. It's slower than the latest development builds and the latest builds better handle timestretching the audio whenever slowdowns do occur.

You never said which games you're trying to play, but your hardware is relatively weak for some games in Dolphin, namely your CPU is the bottleneck most likely. Even at 3.2GHz, you don't have the required single-threaded IPC (which Dolphin relies on greatly) to run certain games at fullspeed. Intel is ahead of AMD by miles in this regard (benchmarks based on Dolphin prove this). Dolphin is chiefly a dual-core program as well.

You can 1) play not so demanding games, 2) OC your CPU, or 3) get new hardware. Before you do any of these, please check out the latest development builds like I suggested. 4.0.2 is stable, but slow. The development builds are safe enough (and worth it) to use in place of the stable build for many of our users.
Thank you mr Admin, btw love your avatar.

I will try the newer builds to if they fix the sound issue.

Then I will see what games I can play, hopefully I can at least play them in 720p but may not for some and if I cant I will try this overclocking business, only thing that concerns me is that It can damage my hardware. I was planing on buying a new graphics card this summer but sadly that doesnt sound like it would fix the problem since you said Cpu not gpu.

I guess I will atleast be able to play Kirby Airride in 1080p with highest levels of anti-alising, and Custom Robo in 720p w/ lowest level of 8 samples. (if the newer build fixes the sound issue for me). Sadly it seems as though I wont be able to play Twilight Princess (well technically I could since I actually physically own a copy of all these games). Metroid Prime may even be off limits and turok evolution wasnt doing to well last night either.

Going to do another test now that Im not downloading things, and with the newest build, wish me luck.

EDIT:
Newest one seems to be hyper throttling Kirby airrride, its going ridiculous speeds even though I have an fps limit of 45.

2nd Edit:
@2nd newest build actually works pretty well ;_; So many builds ive tried and this is the one.
My brothers will love being able to atleast play Kirby Airride in glorious 1080p. Now to try other games and see if we can try this overclocking business.
Just so you know, how high you can raise your Internal Resolution (for HD gameplay) and AA without causing any slowdowns is dependent on your GPU. The rest of your performance is largely on the CPU. So, if your GPU can handle your given IR and AA settings without being the bottleneck for your system, any slowdowns will be CPU-based. An upgrade to the GPU would just give you the ability to make the graphics look better without bogging down your system, but if your system is being bogged down by Dolphin's CPU-bound calculations, a better CPU is the appropriate hardware upgrade.
Ah, thats great info, I think I will try this overclock business then, not sure when Im going to do this because I realize its not as simple as changing a few settings. I'll need to perform alot of tests.