Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i7-4770k
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently built a new computer with the hopes of making Dolphin work a bit better. I went from a 2600k to a 4770k. I have the 4770k OC'd to 4.2 GHz which I REALLY shouldn't be doing considering it kind of goes into the 80s in temperature which isn't that great. But it's stock cooling so... that brings me to my question! I've been trying to run Twilight Princess (GC) but I just cannot get it to go full speed in certain areas. It's super demanding. I believe it's because of running with DSP set to LLE, but. It's just that the frames will drop just a bit and it lags.

Basically what I need to know is the speed should I shoot for when overclocking, and if I need to go higher, any recommendations for a heatsink? Cooling has always been my nemesis... Perhaps I should've asked in the Delphino Plaza section, but this does relate to Dolphin. Anyway, if anybody has a recommendation or anything, it's greatly appreciated. For my case I kind of need a small heatsink. Thank you!!!
Twilight Princess is known to be extremely demanding in Hyrule Field.
There was a hack to alleviate the problem, "ZTP Speed-up hack", but it's gone now.
Oh I know that, however, I experience lag in areas other than Hyrule field. I'm starting from a fresh new save so I haven't gotten to Hyrule field yet... I can't wait to see how it lags! XD But the FPS seems to drop a little bit when there's a lot of grass on screen, such as in the woods.
Even outside Hyrule Field it's still a demanding game
As for a cooler, a Hyper 212 Evo is usually sufficient, and it's cheap. Noctua make the best air coolers (which can rival water cooling) but these are expensive. Simple closed loop water cooling kits aren't really worth the price jump, and then you're looking at very expensive custom systems, which are overkill for almost anyone.
This game should run alright with HLE, which will probably help your issues. Also, there are a couple of builds lurking on the forums that improve performance a bit. Try them out. That ZTP hack can also be re-introduced through some configuration changes (no code or rebuild needed).
(06-02-2014, 05:53 AM)Spirrwell Wrote: [ -> ]For my case I kind of need a small heatsink. Thank you!!!
Noctua NH-L9I will do well
I missed the bit about needing a small one. You should probably go with Admin89's suggestion.