Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i3 4130 performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Around the forums i have seen multiple references to the benchmark showing that the i3 4130 is as powerful, if not more so than an overclocked i5 3570k. Does this mean i could play games like the metroid prime trilogy and smg 1 and 2 with it? I'm confused because i'm used to ivy bridge i3's being out of question for dolphin. Is haswell really that great a jump in performance that the 4130 can play such demanding games?
Haswell is a 30% jump clock-for-clock over Ivy for Dolphin and PCSX2's JIT engines, and Dolphin's got faster since 4.0, so a Haswell i3 isn't out of the question at all except for a couple of very demanding games. Only The Last Story and Highrule Field in TLoZ really require a heavily overclocked part, although you may still find there are parts of SMG etc that won't hit fullspeed on an i3. They'll be damned close, though, and I'm pretty sure with the non-crashing Zelda DSP Microcode rewrite, if you had serious issues with speed, you could change the DSP engine temporarily to get past that part.
(05-30-2014, 03:30 AM)Elvis Wrote: [ -> ]Around the forums i have seen multiple references to the benchmark showing that the i3 4130 is as powerful, if not more so than an overclocked i5 3570k. Does this mean i could play games like the metroid prime trilogy and smg 1 and 2 with it? I'm confused because i'm used to ivy bridge i3's being out of question for dolphin. Is haswell really that great a jump in performance that the 4130 can play such demanding games?

I would wait to to see how the new unlocked pentium performs. The i3 costs a lot more because it has HT and AVX2, which as far as I can tell make little to no difference in dolphin and pcsx2, and a little bit more cache.
If the pentium can overclock really well(i'm sure it will), it may be able to outperform the locked i3 cpus considerably.