Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Laptop help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After a lot of lurking in the forums, ive hit a dead end on which laptop to get. I want to play games like SMG, Xenoblade, and Maybe Metroid Prime if(giant if) the CPU's can handle it. I don't care that much about the graphical quality, just actually playing the games. But the problem is, i dont know which laptop to get because of the CPU's.

The first option is an Alienware 18 with an i7-4800MQ with GTX 770M Sli with 16gb of RAM.
The second option is an ASUS ROG G750JZ with an i7-4700HQ with a single GTX 880M with 24gb of RAM.

I know that dolphin is a dual core application, but will the difference of an Alienware laptop good enough for me not to get the Asus laptop?

Thank you for your time!
Dump both of them . Dolphin doesn't support SLI , Crossfire , Dual CPU , Dual GPU and i7 4700MQ can't compete i5 4670k in Dolphin
You better get i7 4900MQ . With turbo boost and some voltage tweaking via Intel XTU , you can "overclock" it up to 4.2GHz
http://www.amazon.com/GT70-Dominator-895...=i7+4900mq
(05-28-2014, 11:17 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Dump both of them . Dolphin doesn't support SLI , Crossfire , Dual CPU , Dual GPU and i7 4700MQ can't compete i5 4670k in Dolphin
You better get i7 4900MQ . With turbo boost and some voltage tweaking via Intel XTU , you can "overclock" it up to 4.2GHz
http://www.amazon.com/GT70-Dominator-895...=i7+4900mq

Is this MSI Laptop good? Ive heard the MSI Laptops have heat issues...
All single Fansink gaming laptop have heat issues , most MSI gaming laptop have single fansink and thin form factor (make it harder to dissipate the heat )
Both CPU and GPU use only 1 fan -> Laptop will heat up very fast
This one is completely different . It has dual seperated fansink for each (CPU and GPU) and it has very thick form factor
Base on customer review of a similar model (MSI GT70 i7 4800MQ + GTX 870M) , heat is not an issue
(05-29-2014, 12:16 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]All single Fansink gaming laptop have heat issues , most MSI gaming laptop have single fansink and thin form factor (make it harder to dissipate the heat )
Both CPU and GPU use only 1 fan -> Laptop will heat up very fast
This one is completely different . It has dual seperated fansink for each (CPU and GPU) and it has very thick form factor
Base on customer review of a similar model (MSI GT70 i7 4800MQ + GTX 870M) , heat is not an issue

Thanks! I'll go with this MSI then! One question though, what speeds would i be getting with the games i mentioned previously at stock/turbo boost?
Sorry , i mistook the number of fansink by its design . It has 2 heatsink but 2 heatsink connect to 1 fansink .
Heat isn't an issue if
other customer review Wrote:UPDATED REVIEW
I decided to see if there was something going on in the system that would cause such high heat. Upon removing the heat sync's there was so much Thermal Paste that you could have coated the space shuttle in it. Applied IC Diamond paste, and the idle temps dropped from 52 to 39C. The load temps dropped from 93C to 80C. HUGE difference. System fan is still a little louder than I would like, however with head phones it is a moot point. System is staying cool, and running like a champ. AGAIN, I cannot stress how good this keyboard is. Absolutely one of my favorites that I have used in my 30+ years of computer use
Base on most reviews i read so far , the main issue is the noice output (fan being too loud)
I will try to find if there is a better laptop for both world then ( best bang for buck , noice & heat)

Edit : I found it :
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8258s-cle...-6989.html
Customizable Sager Gaming Laptop with new Haswell refresh CPU (i7 4810MQ) that can be "OCed" to 4.0GHz (games like SMG, Xenoblade, and Maybe Metroid Prime will run at full speed) , dual fan , top of the line IC Diamond Thermal Compound , COPPER COOLING UPGRADE (must choose this option when you config it) , ultra thick form factor for better cooling purpose , high quality components such as the well known/expensive onkyo speaker (Made in Japan) , top of the line GTX 880M
Pricing is about the same as Alienware 18
(05-29-2014, 12:42 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry , i mistook the number of fansink by its design . It has 2 heatsink but 2 heatsink connect to 1 fansink .
Heat isn't an issue if
other customer review Wrote:UPDATED REVIEW
I decided to see if there was something going on in the system that would cause such high heat. Upon removing the heat sync's there was so much Thermal Paste that you could have coated the space shuttle in it. Applied IC Diamond paste, and the idle temps dropped from 52 to 39C. The load temps dropped from 93C to 80C. HUGE difference. System fan is still a little louder than I would like, however with head phones it is a moot point. System is staying cool, and running like a champ. AGAIN, I cannot stress how good this keyboard is. Absolutely one of my favorites that I have used in my 30+ years of computer use
Base on most reviews i read so far , the main issue is the noice output (fan being too loud)
I will try to find if there is a better laptop for both world then ( best bang for buck , noice & heat)

Edit : I found it :
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8258s-cle...-6989.html
Customizable Sager Gaming Laptop with new Haswell refresh CPU (i7 4810MQ) that can be "OCed" to 4.0GHz (games like SMG, Xenoblade, and Maybe Metroid Prime will run at full speed) , dual fan , top of the line IC Diamond Thermal Compound , COPPER COOLING UPGRADE (must choose this option when you config it) , ultra thick form factor for better cooling purpose , high quality components such as the well known/expensive onkyo speaker (Made in Japan) , top of the line GTX 880M
Pricing is about the same as Alienware 18

Thanks a lot dude, it really means a lot that you went out of your way to find this laptop for me! Big Grin
Sager is the way to go. I have one with the i7-4700MQ and a GTX 770M, and it is awesome in Dolphin and PC games.
(05-29-2014, 08:22 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Sager is the way to go. I have one with the i7-4700MQ and a GTX 770M, and it is awesome in Dolphin and PC games.

How well do your games run on? Im a curious!
To be specific, I have the Sager NP8235 with the IDC compound and no Copper Cooling. It has two heatsinks and 2 fans, and under long Dolphin sessions the fans kick up a bit but only reach fullspeed on the super long sessions. When using it, you don't really feel how thick it is, and the Onkyo speakers sound great when I use them (I have a PS3 headset that I use with it, so they don't get much use).

I don't use Throttlestop or Intel XTU, and the games that I play all run at fullspeed at 3x IR and near max AA/AF on the latest dev builds

Games:
Pages: 1 2