Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i5 4670S / HD 4600 / 8GB RAM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

I'm looking to build a new SFF PC, using the Antec ISK 110 case, i5 4670S & 8GB RAM (haven't quite decided on the mini-ITX mobo yet).

I've chosen the 4670S as it has a lower TDP and the Antec case only comes with a 90W Power Brick. Of course, I could buy a PicoPSU to power a CPU with higher TDP, but hoping I can get away with the CPU I've chosen... hoping this is powerful enough for Dolphin?

Long story short, will the above build/spec be enough to play most Dolphin games fluently? I have no plans to play PC games with this build as I have a decent gaming rig for that.

Thanks a lot guys

ras
(05-28-2014, 06:11 PM)ras2a Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,

I'm looking to build a new SFF PC, using the Antec ISK 110 case, i5 4670S & 8GB RAM (haven't quite decided on the mini-ITX mobo yet).

I've chosen the 4670S as it has a lower TDP and the Antec case only comes with a 90W Power Brick. Of course, I could buy a PicoPSU to power a CPU with higher TDP, but hoping I can get away with the CPU I've chosen... hoping this is powerful enough for Dolphin?

Long story short, will the above build/spec be enough to play most Dolphin games fluently? I have no plans to play PC games with this build as I have a decent gaming rig for that.

Thanks a lot guys

ras

I don't know how powerful the i5-4670S, but when it comes to emulating consoles(wii,gc,ps2,etc), you must get the most powerful processor that fits on your budget. Next is what resolution do you want to play with. If you plan on playing on a 1080p resolution, forget the hd4600, you will need a discrete/dedicated gpu. I think on dolphin, you can play at 1.5x - 2x IR @768p with a non-demanding game.
I have the exact same CPU, as I also wanted to keep the TDP lower. For me it was to build a noiseless HTPC (I have a 150W PicoPSU so I might be able to use a separate low power GPU, but again, I don't want any extra heat sources in the minimal case, which has a passive heatpipe-based cooling). Temps are tolerable, 40-50C idle and 70-80 when playing dolphin, synthetic stress test can take the temp up to 85-90C but this does not cause throttling, or I have not seen such in my testing.

When it comes to Dolphin, the CPU can take it anytime, the Dolphin CPU test gives me a time of 9min 6s (+- a couple of seconds). Turbo Boost rises the frequency from ~3.1GHz to 3.50-3.60GHz. As you already know, the CPU isn't overclockable, which I take as a relief, as I don't need to take the time to find out the sweet spot, I just have to live with the limitations I chose.

The real bottleneck for gaming is the GPU. It CAN handle most games, even modern ones (Bioshock Infinite) with modest settings (especially 1080p makes a BIG hit on FPS, I settle with 720p. Also anti-aliasing makes a big hit usually. I haven't even tested texture filtering Wink ). And now Steam In-home streaming helps me a lot, so I can use my desktop PC to run PC games.

With Dolphin, HD 4600 is enough, if you're willing to settle for 1x IR with more demanding games and to 1,5-2x IR in lighter ones. Even with 1x IR I get GPU-based slowdowns in Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 when useing LLE audio. But as the slowdowns are caused by GPU bottleneck, these don't necessarily cause slowdown of audio and/or game speed, when I use frame skipping = 1. In worst places the setting can cause a skip of >10 frames and I have had some "instant deaths" because of these, but ONLY in some wide area levels. And this is with LLE audio, now that you can use HLE since March 2014 (I haven't switched, yet, since I enjoy the "perfect" audio that LLE provides, HLE still has some balancing / effect flaws, doesn't it?) I was able to rise the IR to 1,5x and most of the slowdowns were gone (it was just a quick test, I should test again some time soon). I don't know about other demanding games (Zelda TP, Xenoblade Chronicles ect) since I don't have them.
Most games will run ok with IR 1,5x, though (and it looks much prettier than Wii already).

So I'm all for Intel HD, and I'd recommend it for any HTPC setup, IF you don't expect to play anything with higher resolutions. As a CPU 4670S is enough for anything nowadays, exept for tasks that require overclockability (=Dolphin... + OC'ing fun + what else? Wink .

To sum it up (and to answer your question): I'd say all GC/Wii games ARE playable, the most demanding games are (occasionally) NOT fluent, but even then the games are enjoyable.
Hi guys,

MANY thanks for your super fast replies - you've giving me ALL the information I need so thank you again Smile

Good to hear that someone else has the exact CPU I'll be buying for this build. I don't plan to Overclock and I don't want discrete GPU as I have a good gaming rig for Steam Smile

Once the PC is built, it'll be hooked up to my the 22" Samsung LCD TV in my bedroom and I'll be gaming whilst sitting/lying on the bed, so I don't need ultra high res with AA etc (720P will be more than enough... whatever the equivalent is in Dolphin).

As a side note, I'm a massive emulation fan, have been for years and have always wanted to build a PC 'solely' for emulation. With your comments, it looks like this build it's gonna be powerful enough to run majority of Wii/GC games without too much trouble. I'm gonna do some investigation into whether it can PCSX2 next.

Again, thank you SO much for your help guys - much appreciated!

ras
You didn't understand previous answers Smile You won't be able to run 720p with that integrated gpu, the most you will be able to run is 480p and that will look really ugly on your lcd tv.
I would reconsider if I were you, integrated gpu is simply not powerfull enough
The Intel HD 4600 is enough to hit between 2x and 3x IR in Dolphin depending on how graphically demanding the game is
(05-29-2014, 08:08 AM)rpglord Wrote: [ -> ]You didn't understand previous answers Smile You won't be able to run 720p with that integrated gpu, the most you will be able to run is 480p and that will look really ugly on your lcd tv.
I would reconsider if I were you, integrated gpu is simply not powerfull enough

It's true that 1x IR in Dolphin means 480p resolution, and you could consider it "ugly" compared to higher IRs. But still it's very much playable and no more blocky than Wii itself. If the intention is to play wii games, then hd 4600 is doing a fine job for me. Some stuttering doesn't ruin the fun Wink
Sorry for the delay in replying chaps. I did understand, I think Smile

Playing at native res on the LCD (stretched?) does not bother me as I'll be playing from 7-8 feet away from the TV. However, do take the point about the HD4600 not being fantastic... though this machine is purely being built for emulation so I was kinda hoping that it would be sufficient. I actually have a Wii U and can quite happily play Wii games on this, but would like to be able to do so with some 'improvement' over the original graphics Smile...

Hmm... I've got a couple of options:

1) Stick with Intel i5 (Haswell) 4670S (HD 4600 IGP)...
2) Wait for Broadwell / Iris Pro 5200... not sure if this is released later this year or 2015?
3) Abandon on-board graphics.. which almost certainly means I'll at least have to purchase a 'low-profile', half-height GPU. The downside being I'll have to buy a larger case like the Antec 310-150 to accomodate the GPU. I REALLY don't want to do this as the point of this build is something that is as powerful as possible but with tiny footprint 'AND' VESA mountable is primary factor for me as I don't want my missus moaning that it's taking up more space Smile
4) Opt for an AMD APU? However, this may give great graphics performance... but I'm assuming it will definitely NOT be sufficient for Dolphin emux in terms of raw processing power?

I suppose I could opt for something like the Gigabyte Brix machines... but I hear they're terrible in terms of heat/noise. Also, I'd pay a premium for those and my own build would be cheaper

Hmm.... decisions decisions - help?! Smile

ras

Has anyone got any example pics/videos of a similar spec: i5 4670S (ish) with HD 4600 ... games like super mario galaxy, mario kart, zelda titles, etc..?!
There's actually very little between the Intel HD 4600 and AMD's top of the line APU's GPU, and the Iris Pro integrated GPUs blow everything else out the water (except, of course, discrete cards). Basically, even if the CPU performance difference was smaller, the APU wouldn't really have much of a lead.
Ok cool... so then perhaps I should just hold off for the Broadwell chips with the socketed version of Iris Pro 5200 etc... ?! That would be the most ideal. I'm certainly not in a rush to build this machine now, though I was really looking forward to it as a mini project, but am happy to wait

My other concern is that, as Wii emulation matures with newer versions of Dolphin, the system requirements will just keep ramping up... so if I go for the i5 (HD 4600) now, this may not be good enough in 6 months/12 months time?
Pages: 1 2