Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 16MB Memory Card Too small?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

runningexe

i've been trying to play Super Mario Sunshine and with the memory card the emulator makes for you (16MB) it gets used up in the first 10 mins of playing and i can't save. I don't want to rely on save states either. Anyone know a solution?
I have not had any trouble saving to the emulated memory card for this game (with other games taking up space on the memory card too). What kind of error pops up when you try to save. The only game that could use up a sizeable amount of space on the memory card (for one save alone) iirc was Animal Crossing. SMS shouldn't take up too many blocks.

runningexe

(05-27-2014, 03:33 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]I have not had any trouble saving to the emulated memory card for this game (with other games taking up space on the memory card too). What kind of error pops up when you try to save. The only game that could use up a sizeable amount of space on the memory card (for one save alone) iirc was Animal Crossing. SMS shouldn't take up too many blocks.

Shows this, but the memory card is still actually there. Its just full apparently.

http://i.imgur.com/diF7hwA.png
That doesn't say anything about the emulated memory card being full, it looks like a general save error. I'm sure most games will specifically complain if there's no save space. Try restarting the game fresh and delete Dolphin's memory card files (back them up of course or just rename them if you have data you want to keep from other games). Dolphin will create a new, blank memory card file. It should be able to save then.
Are you using savestates or anything?? This looks like the bug, where if you save in game at some point, but then load a savestate prior to that save, it'll no longer let you save because it's confused.

runningexe

(05-27-2014, 05:16 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]That doesn't say anything about the emulated memory card being full, it looks like a general save error. I'm sure most games will specifically complain if there's no save space. Try restarting the game fresh and delete Dolphin's memory card files (back them up of course or just rename them if you have data you want to keep from other games). Dolphin will create a new, blank memory card file. It should be able to save then.

Well when I look at the size of the memory card(s), it says "16MB" or more specifically around 16.8MB. I erased all the memory cards n such so i'll try that now and let you know what happens afterwards.
Dolphin creates an "empty" file with a fixed size (16777216 bytes). When you make a new one, it has little data in it, most of it's just 0xFF in hexadecimal. The file does not expand as you add games saves. Rather, Dolphin reads and writes binary data to it (at specific locations that correspond to whatever save data a game needs).

So yeah, just try a fresh memory card file and you should be fine.
When this message pop out, with emulation running, go to Config => GameCube and change Slot A to "none", apply, change it back to "Memory Card" and apply again. This should let you save again in SMS... Remember, emulation must be running, otherwise it won't work...
(05-27-2014, 08:22 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]When this message pop out, with emulation running, go to Config => GameCube and change Slot A to "none", apply, change it back to "Memory Card" and apply again. This should let you save again in SMS... Remember, emulation must be running, otherwise it won't work...

this should do it, this is what will happen when using savestates
if this doesn't work, look for my post with similar steps, there may be another step that is needed