Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dilemma between two setups - please advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I opened a thread last month in this forum and received sage advice. My question is related. I want to play all Zelda and Mario games at full speed on my 720p TV (2x IR). I also want to play some old games like KOTOR I and II. It would be nice to play some current ones but I'm not that interested.

Initially I wanted an HTPC with a Pentium Anniversary (G3258) overclocked as high as possible paired with a gtx 640 low profile GPU. Low profile is key because of the small form factor case I already own and it's an HTCP.

Someone advised me to get a GTX 750 ti low profile made by galaxy which was helpful.

However I've now found that the Microcenter near me sells the i5 4670k for as low as $180. When I do the math: Pentium Anniversary ($80) + Galaxy 750 TI low profile ($160) = ~ $240.

My question is should I just get the i5-4670k or should I get the Pentium K with the gtx 750 ti?

I have a vice and would delid the i5-4670k and apply clu to keep temperatures low in the small space.

Whoops embarrassed I misspelled title... Please advise.
Basically, until someone buys a pentium anniversary chip, and demonstrates how well dolphin works on Haswell without AVX instructions, we can't say it'll be enough for the most demanding games with much certainty. I can say with confidence, however, that a GTX 750 Ti will be able to handle much more than 2x IR (~720p) in Dolphin, and if you're desperate to save money, you could go for something cheaper.
Thank you for the response. I figured there might be no answers until it's been tested but only after I wrote and posted. Sorry for my impulse post! However I didn't know that dolphin could work better with AVX instructions.

I'm not desperate to save cash and didn't mean to sound that way. This is simply a windows media center and dolphin emulator. It needs to be quiet and small and if the 4600hd will play wind waker and skyward sword at 2ir I'll wait until a better gpu comes along to pair it with.
You could even go for a 750. My 750 runs SSBM and SSBPM (the only games I've played on Dolphin) at 4x IR with ease. If you only want to run games at 2x IR, I'm pretty sure the integrated graphics in the 4670k can handle that. The price of a 4670k will be similar to a Pentium Anniversary + a GTX 750. If you want to get a 750 or 750 Ti, get an EVGA one. They're fairly small, inexpensive and it's a reputable brand. Also, you might want to wait for the 4690k, since apparently it will be better at OCing than a 4670k.
I think the 4690k is the same but with better TIM. I'll delid my 4670k and add my own TIM. I would pair the Pentium with a 750 or 750ti but it would be difficult for me to pair an i5 with such a weak GPU. I'll wait another couple weeks for the reviews and tests to come out. Can't wait! The Pentium sounds fun but may be impractical.
Delidding is a lot harder than it sounds, and a lidded 4690K is likely to OC better than a delidded 4670K.

A lidded 4670K has a small area of thick TIM paste to carry heat to the IHS, which has a large area to transfer heat to where it needs to go.

A delidded 4670K has a small area of thin TIM paste to carry heat straight to the heat sync, which is better mostly because the bottlenecking paste is a thinner layer.

A lidded 4690K has a small area of extremely conductive solder to carry heat to the IHS, which has a large area to transfer heat to where it needs to go. In this situation, the bottleneck is moved back to the large area of the IHS, as thr IHS and the chip are effectively the same piece of metal.
I assumed most people who delid apply liquid ultra and then reattach the IHS. Not bare with the cooler. I doubt I'll get very high clocks, maybe 4.4, because the case is half height and limits cooling.

I'll look into the 4690k but the price for the 4670k is so good I would hope it could compare.

I have time and will follow these hardware threads to see what others discover. It's close! Less than 2 weeks until computex when Intel let's overclockers test the devils canyon and Pentium anniversary.
(05-27-2014, 08:13 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]Basically, until someone buys a pentium anniversary chip, and demonstrates how well dolphin works on Haswell without AVX instructions, we can't say it'll be enough for the most demanding games with much certainty. I can say with confidence, however, that a GTX 750 Ti will be able to handle much more than 2x IR (~720p) in Dolphin, and if you're desperate to save money, you could go for something cheaper.

Pretty sure AVX makes almost no difference.
No-one's ever bothered to turn off AVX and report what happens, bar someone who couldn't get dolphin to work at all. That's now been fixed in the latest master build, but they've yet to report any performance difference.
Could someone try testing without avx? Just preordered the g3258 Pentium anniversary and was going to order the galaxy slim 750ti. Otherwise I'll volunteer to be the test monkey and give an update.

I looked into the 4670k but Intel appears to be binning for Devil's Canyon and many of the recent buyers of the unlocked haswell k chips are limited to low overclocks. May consider selling my z87 for a z97.